Gabar Goshawk

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Callie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Gabar Goshawk, Melierax gabar, Witkruissperwer (Kleinsingvalk), Gabarhabicht, Gavião-palrador, Autour gabar, Gabarhavik ~ Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park.
Distinctive 4-barred stripe on tail is diagnostic. 1st image ~ old, scanned slide, F90X and Tamron lens.
00170 A4W SRL GGH.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Juvie having breakfast - I quite like these in the environment images. ~ D4; 600 F/4 + 1.4 Tc; F/8; 1/800; ISO 640

00347 24X18W D4 6468.jpg

Adult in flight, heavy crop ~ D4; 600 F/4; F/5.6; 1/6400; ISO 1000;

D4 2158W.jpg

Great captures! Do those goshawks stay around water points, waiting for their prey (small birds for example) or prefer hunting in woodlands as it is the case in North-America?

Great captures! Do those goshawks stay around water points, waiting for their prey (small birds for example) or prefer hunting in woodlands as it is the case in North-America?
Christobal ~ As far as I know, they are more bush than open area hunters but then, the Kalahari is very open. But there are a lot of rodents and small reptiles which would be easier prey than birdies. There are also 1000's of doves, which are a favourite prey item. The Lanner Falcon is the round the waterhole killer.

Great series Callie. The first photo that was scanned is amazing. I did not think that scanning could produce such good results. Now you have motivated me to seriously consider scanning some of my old slides.

Back