Gallery Locations

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

There are a ton of sharing platforms out there. Facebook, Instagram, Flickr just to name a few. Ask yourself a few questions before you do.
  • Who do you want to share with? The whole world or just certain people?
  • Do you also want to sell your images?
  • Are you worried about others "stealing" your images?
  • Do you want full control over your images online?
Depending on your circumstances, my advice would be to have your own dedicated website, that way you can control what people see. That is, have some images open to the public but others requiring a secure login to look. You also control how you want to display your images. Just as single images like posted here or in a more fancy way where people can scroll through the images quickly and easily, select from thumbnails or view them all in a slideshow.

Thank you for your feedback. I'd love to have my own website. In the past I haven't been able to find a template that is gallery friendly. Do you have a suggestion? I'm not very savvy when it comes to website development.

Thank you for your feedback. I'd love to have my own website. In the past I haven't been able to find a template that is gallery friendly. Do you have a suggestion? I'm not very savvy when it comes to website development.

Iv`e heard lots of very very good stuff about a web host called "Squarespace" from what I gather its very user friendly even for numpty`s like me who are not very PC literate when it comes to stuff like that,, lots of photographers use it from professionals to the hobbyist - However I don`t actually have a website myself "Yet" ...

I`d suggest going onto Youtube and look up Squarespace as there are tons of videos about it - im almost certain you can pay for it on a monthly basis or a yearly basis ,something like £120 per year in the UK ....

There are also countless other sites which are the same or maybe better but like I said Squarespace is one that Iv`e heard of that lots of photographers use..

You may want to check this out as it could be of some help Squarespace video

Also this one as its more in depth with lots of content ...... Squarespace video

Harry.G

Last edited:
Smugmug is pretty popular and easy to use - at least that's my understanding. Haven't tried it in years. Wix.comis another to check out.

You can also use Wordpress like I do, but there is some setup and tech knowledge usually required. Nothing too tough (I didn't need to write any PHP or SQL scripts), but not necessarily for the technologically faint of heart either. I use the NexGen gallery software on my main site.

I have used Smugmug for a number of years. I use it primarily to share photos with family and friends. I take a lot of photos of my granddaughters playing volleyball and basketball and upload them for viewing by the team. I also share a lot of travel photos with family and friends. It is easy to use and it does have different plan levels from $55 a year up to $360 per year. The more expensive plans allow more customization and more options to sell prints online. Storage is unlimited for all plans. I don't do any photography business so I can't speak to how it works for that.

Wordpress is a good system to build your own website it you enjoy doing that sort of thing. You can register your own domain name and then pay for a hosting service. It is not costly to go that way but it does take a little time to create a good website from the start. The one issue when maintaining your own site is being certain that your site is secure and current.

Not sure what your intent is but Google Photos might be an option as well.

@GailTori. The following link is to a new website I am currently developing. It is by no means a completed project and is full of mistakes; however, if you take a look at the "Gallery", it will give you an idea of what one can do. Feel free to drop me a PM to discuss it further.

Where is the best place to house a gallery of images you want to share?
I am not a pro photographer but I enjoy sharing photos.
I use Flickr mostly, it’s easy and the quality is decent. Paying for the service is best.
Facebook is more popular and more frustrating imo

If you have the Adobe Lightroom/Photoshop monthly plan you could try adobe's myportfolio.com. It's free with the plan easy to use and comes with a variety of templates. I use for my family and friends.

Smugmug.com has many options as far as fee is concerned and the fee structure is layed oout well. you can stay family oriented or take it to a sales place. they have several templets you should look into. You can also assign an alias and have your own domain.

I used Website X5 to build a website for my camera club. I know nothing about web building but found it easy. They do a low cost entry level version so you can give it a go, then there are 2 higher versions. I upgraded to the Evo version which is good enough for me.

I have been using Wix for my website for the last few years. However, for simplicity I like to use Flickr to show pictures to friends and family. It is so simple.

Revisiting this topic as I'm contemplating a move away from Zenfolio.
What is everyone using as a website / e-commerce solution?
Ready made or build you own?
Many thanks

Back