If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I am interested in learning. Because of a movement disorder I always use a tripod with Wimberly Gimbal Head and I am trying to learn to hold a monopod still.
Shown below is a Great Blue Heron and, as always, I welcome any constructive criticism. Thank you! (I tried to post more than 1 picture and was not able to do so.)
DSC_8673.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Thank you!
DSC_8673.jpg

I am interested in learning. Because of a movement disorder I always use a tripod with Wimberly Gimbal Head and I am trying to learn to hold a monopod still.
Shown below is a Great Blue Heron and, as always, I welcome any constructive criticism. Thank you! (I tried to post more than 1 picture and was not able to do so.)View attachment 30054

Thank you!
View attachment 30054
Nice shot! In order to keep the whites from blowing out around the face , in bright sunlight I usually shoot them underexposing by about 0.3 to 0.7 stops. I just set the exposure control to -0.3 or -0.7. I can then adjust the overall exposure during post processing by using the shadow slider. I am usually using matrix metering.

Love the wing position on the bird, eye contact, and the water drops add to the shot. As Ralph pointed out whites are a bit hot. In those conditions the old sunny 16 rule with exposure manually set and dialed down for the whites serves well.

Nice shot! In order to keep the whites from blowing out around the face , in bright sunlight I usually shoot them underexposing by about 0.3 to 0.7 stops. I just set the exposure control to -0.3 or -0.7. I can then adjust the overall exposure during post processing by using the shadow slider. I am usually using matrix metering.
Thanks Ralph, I will try that.