GBH

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

StevieJSmall

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Welcome all constructive feedback, please and thank you!

GBH_BCG.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I'd crop the photo some. In addition, my preference would have been from a lower angle so that the bird's body wasn't bisected by the background transition. Maybe go low enough so that the light browns and greens are totally out of the shot. I also know that is easier said than done.

If that was done, you'd have to work on getting the vertical elements off of the birds head.

But it's a nice photo the way that it is, with additional potential.

I'd crop the photo some. In addition, my preference would have been from a lower angle so that the bird's body wasn't bisected by the background transition. Maybe go low enough so that the light browns and greens are totally out of the shot. I also know that is easier said than done.

If that was done, you'd have to work on getting the vertical elements off of the birds head.

But it's a nice photo the way that it is, with additional potential.
Thank you for the feedback! I think this is a great example of I need to get closer as I was already in DX mode and with this already cropped, was concerned additional cropping rendered it not good enough. More importantly though, the advice on positioning is awesome, will need to keep that in mind as in this location, I certainly could have done what you suggested, just didn't think to do it in the moment...will keep in mind for next time!

Appreciate the feedback as always!

Thank you for the feedback! I think this is a great example of I need to get closer as I was already in DX mode and with this already cropped, was concerned additional cropping rendered it not good enough. More importantly though, the advice on positioning is awesome, will need to keep that in mind as in this location, I certainly could have done what you suggested, just didn't think to do it in the moment...will keep in mind for next time!

Appreciate the feedback as always!
Great advice above, it's hard in the moment but try to consider the background and foreground and basically everything in the scene as much as the main subject. That can help when it comes to things like horizon lines bisecting your main subject or the dreaded tree or telephone pole growing out of its head. Basically scan the entire frame and ask yourself whether moving up, down or side to side might help the overall image.

Nice shot and with time you'll find opportunities to get closer and fill more of the frame but definitely learn to consider the overall scene and background as much as the main subject when possible.

Great advice above, it's hard in the moment but try to consider the background and foreground and basically everything in the scene as much as the main subject. That can help when it comes to things like horizon lines bisecting your main subject or the dreaded tree or telephone pole growing out of its head. Basically scan the entire frame and ask yourself whether moving up, down or side to side might help the overall image.

Nice shot and with time you'll find opportunities to get closer and fill more of the frame but definitely learn to consider the overall scene and background as much as the main subject when possible.
Absolutely, thank you for the reinforcement. Practice, practice, practice and more practice :)

Agree with above advice and just want to note that it's easy to get caught up in the moment and just start firing off shots to ensure you get one or three off in time. Not insinuating that's what you did, but just that it's easy to sometimes get overly eager with photo taking and not notice things like the split background at the time of photographing. Things like that just come in time and even pros are evaluating their own photos after the fact and see improvement areas.

Sometimes I fire off some shots to get the subject THEN look for different/better comp/angles. Depends on the subject for me.

It's a nice photo and I like the perch and depth.

Cheers.

Agree with above advice and just want to note that it's easy to get caught up in the moment and just start firing off shots to ensure you get one or three off in time. Not insinuating that's what you did, but just that it's easy to sometimes get overly eager with photo taking and not notice things like the split background at the time of photographing. Things like that just come in time and even pros are evaluating their own photos after the fact and see improvement areas.

Sometimes I fire off some shots to get the subject THEN look for different/better comp/angles. Depends on the subject for me.

It's a nice photo and I like the perch and depth.

Cheers.
Appreciate it and no worries on your statement because that's EXACTLY what I did :) Going to take this feedback moving forward and keep it in mind and start practicing and etching in my brain to look at the scene and not just the subject. Given I had the space and ability to move around and make it better, will be a spot I can go back to and practice for sure.

Thank you!

My photographic mentors would be dissapointed in me for an incomplete critique!! Always add positive comments to reinforce what is strong within the photo!

I should have included that the position of the bird at the left third of the photo, while looking right is excellent. As well, your use of shallow depth-of-field to isolate your subject from the background is excellent. It is good that others have already done so.

As far as your comment above about getting closer, we've all been there, with a wish for a longer focal length lens. Even so, I've also had situations where I wished I had a shorter lens. (But those are far fewer than the others.)

My photographic mentors would be dissapointed in me for an incomplete critique!! Always add positive comments to reinforce what is strong within the photo!

I should have included that the position of the bird at the left third of the photo, while looking right is excellent. As well, your use of shallow depth-of-field to isolate your subject from the background is excellent. It is good that others have already done so.

As far as your comment above about getting closer, we've all been there, with a wish for a longer focal length lens. Even so, I've also had situations where I wished I had a shorter lens. (But those are far fewer than the others.)
No worries, I thought your initial response was perfect as the things you just noted are the things I felt I did well because I knew I wanted those things.

It’s the things I didn’t see or do that I care about and that’s what you so helpfully instructed on.

Appreciate your thoughts again, means a lot to get great constructive feedback to continue and improve my own photos.

Back