Gear in backpacks when travelling.....body & lens attached or detached?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi all

In advance of our upcoming trip to Botswana I bought a new Lowepro Flipside 400 AW III to replace old 300 AW. This was to accommodate two bodies and long lenses (Olympus / OM System gear)

Now it does all fit nicely with some space to spare, though because of the configuration the two masses are on the outer edges of the bag....might rethink that to get them 'head to tail' down the middle of the bag :unsure:

But my question is based on what I saw on the helpful Lowepro video about setting out the gear loading, where it was mentioned/recommended that when travelling it is best to separate lenses from the body/ies.

In the past with my one body bag I did not do this even when flying with the bag as cabin luggage :D I know flying can get turbulent and the G force shifts can affect bags in the overhead lockers.

So, what do you do when you travel such long distances?

FWIW I don't see any reason to make the items separated for car journeys and the like locally.

NB to avoid having to alter the 'loadout' I surmise wrapping the body in one of those protective wraps and placing the body in position with the lens (stating the obvious the body cap & rear lens caps in place ;) ) will travel well :unsure:

Oh, another question.................it has been ages since I went on safari and realise it is a good idea to have cloths to dry wipe and/or damp wipe the gear down before re-bagging it....but what type of cloths do you use? I am thinking micro-fibre towels that are small and absorbent and wash & dry quickly.

TIA for your user insights :)

Box…

I use compact tele lenses and leave them attached to camera bodies (also compact) when carried in a backpack (Peak Design + old ancient Lowepro AW).

… David

Last edited:
One thing I do is add extra foam padding to my backpacks to help absorb shock from impact. If you think about it, if the backpack suffered enough force to damage the mount because the body and lens are attached, it might very well be enough force/impact shock to damage the body and/or lens even if they are not attached.

If it makes you feel more comfortable then just detach them. Also, I don't let anyone else handle my gear. I might accidently drop my backpack, but it hasn't happened yet (and yes I am familiar with Murphy's law). Ken

Back