Gimbal head recommendations

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've got a Jobu Pro 1st gen and I'm going to have to replace it now with this bigger lens. I get a lot of movement from the swing arm... they sell the 2nd gen upgrade but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough to fix the issues or not. I've been looking at the Wimberley.. decisions-decisions.
I purchased a Nikon 500 mm f4 last year, and my WH-200 does quite well with it. What the lens didn't do was go well with my previous tripod, and I ended up purchasing a sturdier one (Gitzo 55 series).

W

Last edited:
Yes, you did!! The one I had to replace was a 35-40 year-old aluminum Bogen (now Manfrotto) that was ready to be used for parts long ago. My Gitzo is the 5543XLS, which I will likely never use to its full capability. But I want to try to! ;)

W
A great choice! You won't be sorry! I had a hard time spending that kind of money on a tripod but I sure am glad I did now!

I have been using the Wimberly WH-200 for more than eight years now with no regrets at all. It just works every time, all the time. I use it on my Gitzo 3543LS as well as on my Gitzo monopod. Check out Steve's video on the same.

I took Steve's excellent advise and ordered the RRS 60mm Lever Release Clamp B2-LR-II and installed it on both my tripod and monopod. Also got the small dovetail plate BH-40 from RRS and fitted it on my WH-200 gimbal head. This helps to swap heads on the tripod and monopods very easily with no tools required. Steve has a whole video on that which you can see on his website.

If your finances permit, you can also get the RRS Pano-Gimbal Cradle Clamp PG-CC and attach it on your WH-200 for quick change and balancing your lens on your gimbal head. Life in the field gets very easy if you have the right tools on hand.

Next on my Christmas wishlist is the Wimberly MH-100 Mono Gimbal Head which our dear friend Steve raves about so much. Need to try that out for sure and avoid carrying my tripod all together. A big thank you to Steve, for all his regular wonderful reviews and excellent advise time and again over the years, be it on shooting techniques on wildlife or purchasing the correct gear. Steve just never disappoints, but my wife and wallet regularly does. :p
I also followed Steve’s advice and added the Pano-Gimbal Cradle Clamp to my WH-200 and added the recommended parts from his video on setting up a quick release system for all my heads, tripods, and monopods. Now I can effortlessly swap parts on the fly in mere seconds, thanks to Steve’s awesome advice!

Back