Gimbal head

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I use the Benro carbon fiber gimbal, GH5C. It’s kind of mid range but perfect for my uses. Wimberley is the best but the nickel and dime you like certain auto brands. I researched a lot and this was a the best bang for the buck for me.

@arbitrage I just received the Jobu Jr 3 Deluxe! Picking it up - as compared to my MH200 - is TRULY amazing! SOOOOO much lighter. And overall size of the Jobu is much smaller, too, so packing will be easier. I'm quite impressed!

I set it up on my tripod with my 600mm TC. Now I have two questions:

1. The clamp tightening knob is right on top of the rotating knob. Have you tried raising the swing arm to the middle position or even higher?

2. With the Z8 and the 600mm TC, I think I will have trouble balancing the 600mm. I am using a Hejnar replacement foot, 6.75" long. What set up are you using?

@arbitrage I just received the Jobu Jr 3 Deluxe! Picking it up - as compared to my MH200 - is TRULY amazing! SOOOOO much lighter. And overall size of the Jobu is much smaller, too, so packing will be easier. I'm quite impressed!

I set it up on my tripod with my 600mm TC. Now I have two questions:

1. The clamp tightening knob is right on top of the rotating knob. Have you tried raising the swing arm to the middle position or even higher?

2. With the Z8 and the 600mm TC, I think I will have trouble balancing the 600mm. I am using a Hejnar replacement foot, 6.75" long. What set up are you using?
Hi,

I'm using it with Sony A1 (with battery grip) and the Sony 600/4 GM with or without 1.4TC. I have a Kirk replacement foot on the lens. I haven't had any issues with my setup but obviously balancing could be different with the Nikon gear. I think my swing arm is in the stock position as I don't remember moving it.

Hard for me to help since I don't have that same Nikon gear. Try moving the arm and see if that helps. You could reach out to Jobu as they are responsive and often have suggestions about getting certain gear to balance. Sorry it didn't work straight out of the box for you.

Hi,

I'm using it with Sony A1 (with battery grip) and the Sony 600/4 GM with or without 1.4TC. I have a Kirk replacement foot on the lens. I haven't had any issues with my setup but obviously balancing could be different with the Nikon gear. I think my swing arm is in the stock position as I don't remember moving it.

Hard for me to help since I don't have that same Nikon gear. Try moving the arm and see if that helps. You could reach out to Jobu as they are responsive and often have suggestions about getting certain gear to balance. Sorry it didn't work straight out of the box for you.
I think I am keeping it.....just want to fine tune the set up.

I appreciate you recommending this gimbal!

If I had a trip to say, Costa Rica, where I KNEW I would do 80%+ of my shooting with the tripod and 600mm TC, I would take the MH200. But I have an upcoming trip with about 50-65%+ of the shooting will be hand held with my 400 F4.5, and this will be a much lighter solution to travel with and still be able to use the 600mm TC on tripod during "off" periods!

According to Canon, the lens weighs in at 3lbs. One thing to consider is your overall kit weight. In other words, how much are you schlepping including the tripod and whatever head you put on it? If you have good ballhead, then the Wimberly Sidekick is both cost and weight effective. I used one for years with my 300 2.8 and teleconverters. You can often find them used at a discount too if you are so inclined. When I got my 600 f/4 G VR (11.25 lbs), I looked at a lot of full gimbals and settled on this one from Leofoto. Overall, I have been very happy with it and it balances the 600 just fine.

According to Canon, the lens weighs in at 3lbs. One thing to consider is your overall kit weight. In other words, how much are you schlepping including the tripod and whatever head you put on it? If you have good ballhead, then the Wimberly Sidekick is both cost and weight effective. I used one for years with my 300 2.8 and teleconverters. You can often find them used at a discount too if you are so inclined. When I got my 600 f/4 G VR (11.25 lbs), I looked at a lot of full gimbals and settled on this one from Leofoto. Overall, I have been very happy with it and it balances the 600 just fine.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

these are all the ones I've owned, and still own.

for a monopod head - the Wimberley MH-100 is pretty widely accepted as the best.

for a tripod head - lots of people like the Wimberley WH-200, but I find it to be expensive and heavy. the Leofoto PG-1 does all the same things while shaving 30% of the weight. so it's my choice.

then the Acratech Long Lens head is a perfect travel head since it's lightweight, can fit in your pocket, etc.

this is the first time I've ever heard of Jobu, but their Jr. 3 Deluxe that keeps getting recommended is only 1.5lbs. though out of stock it seems. may be worth a visit as well

Tripod Heads own.png

I'm using the Pro Media Gear Katana Jr Gimbal with slide mount clamp it's solid made from Machined Aircraft aluminum and operates smooth as silk the Pro Media is an engeneering company in Orland Park, IL check their facebook page or website for info. Attached a picture

Attachments

• c6vtx3cd.png
    c6vtx3cd.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
I’ve used both the Wimberley Sidekick on an Arca Swiss ballhead and more recently, the Zenelli Carbon ZC. The Sidekick combination is very stable, but heavy. The Zenelli ZC is light for a complete gimbal head at 1.9 lbs. I used it most recently supporting a 9+ pound first version EF 500/4L IS and EF 1.4X II on an EOS R7 for eclipse pictures. I also intend to use it for airshows and wildlife with an RF 200-800/6.3-9 IS that arrived too late for the eclipse.

You can remove the bottom tray mount from the Zenelli ZC and use it like a Sidekick if you want the absolute lowest weight. Here’s an eclipse pic I shot using it in Texas.
2G6A1906.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Attachments

• 2G6A1906.jpeg
    2G6A1906.jpeg
    361.9 KB · Views: 3
these are all the ones I've owned, and still own.

for a monopod head - the Wimberley MH-100 is pretty widely accepted as the best.

for a tripod head - lots of people like the Wimberley WH-200, but I find it to be expensive and heavy. the Leofoto PG-1 does all the same things while shaving 30% of the weight. so it's my choice.

then the Acratech Long Lens head is a perfect travel head since it's lightweight, can fit in your pocket, etc.

this is the first time I've ever heard of Jobu, but their Jr. 3 Deluxe that keeps getting recommended is only 1.5lbs. though out of stock it seems. may be worth a visit as well

View attachment 87775
I just received the Jobu Jr 3 Deluxe from B&H.......it is in stock there.

Scuba Chuck, just my 2 cents worth. I'm 70 and use a Really Right Stuff Carbon Fiber tripod. I purchased a Benro GH-2 gimbal head several years ago and used until switching recently to the Wimberley Sidekick. I already had a RRS BH-55 Ball Head and attached the Sidekick to it with Quick Detachable mount. Now, I basically have two heads in one and can easily switch in under 3-seconds, if the need calls for it. I'm shooting a Nikon Z9, 180-600mm lens, and 800mm f/5.6 "F" mount lens with the FTZ adapter and have not experienced any problems whatsoever. I'd like to add that the Benro GH-2 worked flawlessly and is still in daily use by a friend.

I have tried several options and have seen a lot of reviews. The Wimberley 200 is the most widely respected brand and I am very happy with it. This is a very substantial gimbal and very easy to control. Once mounted on the gimbal the camera/lens moves quite fluidly. I am someone not far behind you in age and I really like how camera movement on the gimbal is effortless and smooth.

I have also used the Gitzo fluid head, it is also fine but it tends to dampen the movement which is a good idea for video but not needed for stills.

I would not want to go cheap here. The thing i fear the most is something coming loose and causing the camera to fall. I want the gimbal to be strong and reliable.

I like gimbal types with the mount located on the bottom. Easier to get the lens into position for attachment. Maybe it is my paranoia but side mounting feels less save to me. But that is just me.

The one thing I wish I had with the Wimberly is a quick release clamp for the lens foot attachment instead of the more common screw clamp. In the past Really Right Stuff had a quick release clamp that could be substituted for the stock Wiomberley. That has not been available for some time. Really Right Stuff makes a gimbal with a quick release clamp, but you are going to pay a lot more.

There is a reason so many pro sports photographers use Wimberley. It is reliable, solid. Easy too adjust and bullet proof.
I agree, I'm 71 and own a Wimberley and wish I could retrofit the RRS quick release clamp and recently tried with no luck. I shoot a Nikon Z9 usually with a 180-600mm lens. The combination of the two are fairly heavy to seat on the Wimberley side clamp and then have to endless screw in the knob. I've had two instances where I thought the camera was mounted properly but it wasn't and came sliding down after I let go but luckily I caught it both times this happened. With a side quick release like the one I have on my ball head this would not happen.

Last edited:
My costly experience, a Screw-gate cradle clamp on a gimbal is a pending destroyer of your camera- telephoto rig. Besides they're too slow in use. Been there once and lost a D500, which slipped out of the foot plate on a 300 f2.8G....

The only remedy is to mix and patch components, which can require machining and altering to fit parts together. I bought the RRS PG-CC cradle plate (discontinued) for the Leofoto PG1. However its Lever Clamp cannot adjust the throw (ie tolerance) of the locking plate; unless it's disassembled to insert shimming washers inside the lever shaft recess to adjust the QR lever throw. (Different makes of A-S foot plates differ in width, because Arca-Swiss is not a strict standard.)

It's frustrating there's little effort by the prominent Gimbal brands to design Arca-Swiss compatible Cradle arms with an adjustable locking throw on the QR lever. Looking at you - Jobo, Leofoto in particular.

Leofoto already has a 70mm Lever Clamp. UThey could offer this QR mechanism as an option in cradle arm of their PG series gimbals; the PG-2S weighs 0.85kg only.

Last edited:
Now that I have my R6 MKii and 100-500mm RF I am looking for a gimbal head.
Any recommendations? Try not to break my bank. Thanks
I use a Benro GH2, and love it. The gimbal is very well built, stable for big rigs, smooth as silk, and significantly less expensive than the Wimberley equivalent. I've tried the Wimberley and, to be honest, I like the Benro a smidge more (don't ask me why, I just do). The Benro gimbal is my go-to tripod head whenever I'm not traveling by air. For the latter situation, I use a Flexshooter Pro hybrid head (part gimbal, part ball), which works well as a gimbal-like device (but not quite as well as a true gimbal), and weighs a fraction of what toting both a gimbal and ball head along on trips.

My costly experience, a Screw-gate cradle clamp on a gimbal is a pending destroyer of your camera- telephoto rig. Besides they're too slow in use. Been there once and lost a D500, which slipped out of the foot plate on a 300 f2.8G....

The only remedy is to mix and patch components, which can require machining and altering to fit parts together. I bought the RRS PG-CC cradle plate (discontinued) for the Leofoto PG1. However its Lever Clamp cannot adjust the throw (ie tolerance) of the locking plate; unless it's disassembled to insert shimming washers inside the lever shaft recess to adjust the QR lever throw. (Different makes of A-S foot plates differ in width, because Arca-Swiss is not a strict standard.)

It's frustrating there's little effort by the prominent Gimbal brands to design Arca-Swiss compatible Cradle arms with an adjustable locking throw on the QR lever. Looking at you - Jobo, Leofoto in particular.

Leofoto already has a 70mm Lever Clamp. UThey could offer this QR mechanism as an option in cradle arm of their PG series gimbals; the PG-2S weighs 0.85kg only.

I use the Leofoto PG-1 for my Nikon 600mm f6.3 PF with the screw type release & Kirk foot, no problem at all and the PG-1 is great!.

I went with the Wimberley sidekick that you can use on your ball-head with dovetail clamp. Love it. It saves space and weight. I've had 600mm 4 mounted and it works great. Most often I pack it in the back country with Nikon 200-500 5.6 to save weight and its wonderful. Link below.

Back