GITZO Monopod - Defective or Operator Error ??

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MalcolmP

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Just purchased Gitzo GM4542 Series 4 Carbon Fiber Monopod through B&H. Second time I used it, the smallest diameter section to which the foot is attached apparently fell out while hiking.
B & H was not at all sympathetic and wouldn't authorize a return because, you guessed it, it's not complete. They did refer me to a GITZO phone number and e-mail. GITZO has yet to return a call or respond to an e-mail.

Is this defective equipment or Operator Error ??

The remaining sections are firmly in place - not sure I could detach if I tried. I have a similar old metal monopod I've had for 15 years with all parts in tact.

I chose this Monopod based on Steve's endorsement in one of his videos.
220317 Monfrotto Monpod IMG_2347 copy.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I'm not sure exactly what happened. The leg lock should have held it in place, but if the sleeve was missing, incorrectly installed, or damaged, it would have nothing to hold it in place.

I sent you a message with contact information for Henry Posner at B&H. He can resolve the issue.

If this is/was an older tripod, Gitzo parts are available. I've ordered in the US as well as through GitzoParts in the UK.

Sorry to break it to you But it could very well be user error :cry::cry: , we are not to know what actually happened to the other section , given that this was only your second time using it , is it possible after using it for the first time you may not have completely tightened up the final section of the leg ? ? which may have caused it to fall out on your second outting .. Realistically - its unlikely that it would fall out on its own . Howeverrrrrrrr

Having said that - If you are certain that you tightened all the sections after your last trip then its possible there is a fault with the shims or locking mechanism on the final section ..

Would it be possible to retrace your steps to your last hiking spot ? just in case you might stumble across it in the grass etc ..

Hope it turns out well for you ..

Harry.G

I own a Gitzo tripod, a GT 3542, bought new in May 2014. The bottom section of a leg will detach only if the collar that secures it is completely unscrewed and no longer attached to the section above it. Assuming your monopod had four sections, the presence of three collars in your photo means something went wrong to allow the lowest leg section to detach with the collar still attached. Glad to hear B&H responded to Eric's assistance.

Back