Going long for Africa

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MMoretti

Michael
Supporting Member
Marketplace
After my first visit to Africa (Namibia) in September, I’m hooked! I’m planning now to return with my wife and our two teenage sons (D3400 and D7100 with kit glass, between them) next August for about 3 weeks. We’ll rent a four-door backie as I did this time, though I’m looking at options which have a way to open the roof of the cabin to stand up. (Hanging out the window or standing on the sideboards got me a couple of lectures, already.)

There’s a possibility that we’ll start in Harare (my wife will be working there for two weeks), then drive to Victoria Falls, and enter Namibia via a small detour through Botswana, continuing on through Caprivi. For a sense of the range of our travel in Namibia, it’ll include Etosha (and Outapi to the north to visit a friend), Windhoek area, Swakop area and Sossusvlei (which I missed on my first trip). Maybe a ride up the Skeleton Coast, Brandberg Mt. (at least closer to it) and Waterberg.

I’m not much of a birder, though I do like to capture the larger ones like the Secretary and hornbill.

Realizing that it’s almost a year out and the Nikon offerings could change, I’m reaching out here for some advice on how I might get some longer glass into play. Here is my current kit plan with gear I already own:
  • D850
  • Z8
  • Voigtlander 21/1.4 (MF, M-mount)
  • Voigtlander 125/2.5 (MF, macro, F-mount)
  • Zeiss 25/2 ZF.2 Distagon (MF, astro, F-mount)
  • Nikon 16/2.8 fisheye
  • Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR II
  • Nikon 120-300/2.8
  • TCE 14 III, TCE 20 III and FTZ II
  • Tripod, monopod, gimbal, etc.
The longer glass which most interests me includes the 600 PF, 500 f4 E or 600 f4 E, the latter two of which I expect prices to fall a bit more by the time of my travel.

What would you recommend for filling any gaps? I expect my MF glass will mostly be used on the Z8. If I get a longer lens, on which body would it be best when mounted at the same time as the 120-300? With my TC’s, do I even need anything longer than 600?

Thank you in advance for any and all guidance.

Last edited:
For my first trip, I brought this gear:
  • D850
  • Z7
  • Voigtlander 21/1.4 (MF, M-mount)
  • Voigtlander 125/2.5 (MF, macro, F-mount)
  • Zeiss 25/2 ZF.2 Distagon (MF, astro, F-mount)
  • Nikon Z 24-70/4
  • Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR II
  • TCE 14 III, TCE 20 III and FTZ
My travel buddy brought and shared his 300/2.8 VRI and 200-400 (not the latest versions of either). He keeps them in Windhoek, so I can borrow them again, if needed/desired.

@MMoretti , first of all I wonder why you are going to drive to Namibia if your wife will be working in Harare?
You have such a great opportunity to visit Zimbabwean parks!! Especially one of the best for sightings and photographical opportunities - Mana Pools national park.
For me it is just doesn't make any sense, it is like having a great wine on the table and go for the tape water.
Don't get me wrong, Etosha is a nice park but quite crowded, sometimes with vehicles staying in three rows to get to the sightings. The other part of Namibia is fenced.
Mana Pools is one of the most beautiful African parks! And is one of the best sightings! The competition can make only Khwai in Botswana,, South Luangwa and Mara. And it is only 3 hours drive from Harare. You have such an opportunity!!!
The other excellent park is Hwange. There are also great sightings and no people ...
And then you are writing that you cross Botswana to Namibia... You only cross Botswana??? As I read it I couldn't believe it! This year we saw in Chobe national park lions every day, lion cubs playing in the picnic spot!! There is such a place in Botswana as Khwai where you can see lions, leopards, cheetah and wild dogs in one day! (I did)
And then Okavango delta, central Kalahari ....
Not to forget very wild and empty of tourists Gonarezhou national park in Zimbabwe...
Why to go to Namibia if you are staying in Zimbabwe? You always can go to Namibia! But you have such an oppotrunity for Zimbabwe!! I am jealous ;-)
I've been to Africa 18 times and I think that the most scenic and beauitiful park is actually Mana Pools. It has the best photographic opportunities and best wildlife experience. Photographic opportunities - becasue you can plan your shots, you can walk without guide, you can leave your car and go down to get an eye-level with animals. Best willife experience becasue the animals will come to you very very close. They are used to people.
I am a self-driver and can provide you with more information if you decide for Zimbabwe and Botswana. In my 18 trips I've been only once in Namibia (and it was enough ;-). It has very nice landscapes but I didn't like fences and crowds. So, I would not even think about Namibia ;-) But of course, it is your choice.
Ref. your equipment: I see you have very rare Voigt. 125mm .. and then the other Voigt and Zeiss. It explains me why you like namibia, you are probably more landscape photographer than wildlife photograher.
Personally, I would not purchase now F-Mount 600/4 but rather go for 500 PF or 600 PF becasue 600/4 is heavy and big and it will be difficult to move it inside the car if you are driving. I have 400/2.8, it is a bit smaller but it is not easy to use it when you are driving. By the way I have never seen vehicles with moving oof in Zimbabwe, Namibia or Botswana. I saw such only in Kenya and Tanzania.
Very good for national parks is 800 PF becasue you must stay on the road and need longer focal length. In Mana Pools you can go out of the car so, you can have shorter focal length. If you take videos than 100-400 (Z) or 180-600 (Z) will be great. Excellent lens for Africa is 180-400/4 TC (F-Mount) Perhaps, you shall check if you can rent the lens in South Africa.

Like Elena said, Namibia (I was born there) is great for landscapes. Namibia has wildlife (Etosha and Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in the south), but Botswana and Zimbabwe must be first choices for wildlife. It's hard to beat the Okavango Delta.

Thank you, Elena, for the thoughtful and informative write up! In fact, since posting my original plans, there’s been a bit of a pivot in which my wife may now go instead to Zambia haha. Still, I would imagine it would be too much of a stretch to get to Zimbabwe. Anyway, you‘ve convinced me to give some more thought to spending more time there. As it is, wherever we end up starting our adventure, she will be in that country for a good 10 days to two weeks before we would move on so there will be time to explore on weekdays with my two sons, and on weekends she can join us. (Though she may not be so thrilled with that arrangement!)

As for Namibia, my feeling is that given the time of year we are planning (August) the tourist traffic should be lightening up by then. I was in Etosha in Sep and, at least on the east side of the park, there weren’t too many backies running around; at times the main road could be deserted for as long as an hour. (We were staying at the Sachsenheim guest farm, arriving as soon as the gates opened in the am.) Also, I’ve made a few friends now in Namibia so looking forward to seeing them, including one I met last December in Havana where he was just finishing his med school. Lastly, I feel like I know my way around the the country now (at least the northern half), so there is a sense of familiarity factor bringing my family to a new place. We’ll likely visit north of Etosha, closer to the Angola border, as well as take in the Caprivi region.

You are correct, I’m more of a landscape shooter, but that’s only from not having previously visited a land with such an abundance of wildlife… it was such a magical experience that I’m now shopping for longer glass to combine wildlife with the natural vistas. It’s definitely adding a new dimension to my photography travel… and, I’m here on BCG as it’s clearly a great resource (the best I’ve found) to help me with transition!

With respect to the glass… I was really looking at the 600/4 lens because it’s less expensive than the new 600 PF. Perhaps the latter will come down in price. I will be staying with my 120-300 vs picking up one of the Z (excellent) 100-400, 180-600 lenses. And, with the 1.4, I already effectively have a 180-400/4, albeit without the (convenient) built-in TC… and with the added wider reach for closer/larger animals. I’m thinking to have the 120-300 on my Z8 and perhaps my 70-200 VRII on the D850, switching out the former with a longer prime (e.g. 600 PF), as needed. And, yeah I’m getting a bit out there now, I’m looking at a Zf for shooting my wide glass (and the CV 125). Since we’ll be self-driving, and there are four of us to divide up the kit for flights, etc., it shouldn’t be too much of a challenge, as the boys’ kits are relatively modest. Now, I just have to talk my wife into driving! (Not a real problem, as she often drives when we visit her home country of Bolivia, so she’s no stranger to off-road…)

Again, thank you for all the great info, and inspiration to consider how we might build this itinerary. I’ll definitely look to you for your generous offer of more info as planning continues. I might add, we‘ll be traveling from Washington, DC area, so we’re also looking at a couple of days at the end of our journey in Cape Town before our non-stop home on United. :)

Cheers!

Like Elena said, Namibia (I was born there) is great for landscapes. Namibia has wildlife (Etosha and Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in the south), but Botswana and Zimbabwe must be first choices for wildlife. It's hard to beat the Okavango Delta.
Thank you for the supporting inspiration to see more than Namibia!

We’re actually spending regular time in your part of the world these days, as our older son just started in September at UoT. We have an apartment now next to the Distillery District from which we‘re getting to know the Toronto area. My wife just flew up there yesterday; I’ll follow with our younger son and dog on Tuesday by car to spend Thanksgiving (the US one, I was there for Canada‘s last month haha) together. (I rode my BMW GS up there last month as a practice run ahead of a longer trip up to the Trans Taiga area, maybe next spring.)

Also, I’ve made a few friends now in Namibia
this is, of course, a different story! :) Sure, you must vesit your friends!
But nevertheless, I'd like to point now your attention to South Luangwa national park which is in Zambia. It is also one of the best African parks, especially if you want to see the leopards. Maybe you will have an opportunity to go there.
We were staying in one of the self-catering cottages of Croc Valley Camp. We booked a private game-drive with a guide Simon a few times and then drove ourselves. It was during Covid-times, in 2020. I wrote the Trip report in Safari talk forum : https://www.safaritalk.net/topic/21280-first-time-in-zambia-september-2020/#comments
so, you can ave a look if you want.

Great, thanks! I’ve seen you (and others) mention a Simon before, so I’ll add him to my notes. Both South Luangwa and Mana Pools parks look in striking distance from Lusaka, so clearly a possibility. Would love to see leopards; only saw a dusk outline of one in Etosha, surrounded by a dozen other vehicles trying to get a peak. I did have an exciting cheetah walk at Na’an Kuse though. :)

I should probably throttle my enthusiasm soon so i don’t run out of it before we start 10 months from now!

Back