Golden Hour of the Desert

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hooligans Imagery

Michael H
Supporting Member
Marketplace
This Saguaro's arms are a reminder that the path forward is never known.

If anyone has thoughts on how I might process the moon on this which is blown out? Lower exposure add grain?

Moon  - _Z631988 - September 08, 2024-3.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

If the moon is truly blown out, there is no recovery. You can test it by zooming in and lowering the whites. If it goes grey without any detail it is lost. If it is recoverable you will see some detail emerge as you lower the whites. If recovery is possible use a mask on the moon and lower just that. Or if you have another shot with a non blown moon you can composite it.

Really nice landscape Michael! We’ve been to the Sonoran Desert to see the Saguaro and they are impressive. None quite that tall though. The only way I know to deal with blown out objects (usually flowers, leaves…) has been by reducing contrast. Great Image regardless of the 🌙…. Think Bill’s suggestions have merit.. In either case, Your skill level and Bill’s are above my pay grade…

If the moon is truly blown out, there is no recovery. You can test it by zooming in and lowering the whites. If it goes grey without any detail it is lost. If it is recoverable you will see some detail emerge as you lower the whites. If recovery is possible use a mask on the moon and lower just that. Or if you have another shot with a non blown moon you can composite it.
Good idea I think all capture are correct exposure this evening

Back