Got a new Z 4/600 TC: some questions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

mjais

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Last Saturday I got my new Z 4/600 T. I haven’t used it yet as I am waiting for the insurance company to confirm coverage, I expect an email this week.
I have never broken any expensive equipment but with this one, I am leaning towards the paranoid 🙂

I have a few questions.

1). Do you use a third-party lens cap? For my 800PF I have a lens cap from a German manufacturer. The cap from Nikon is not the best in my opinion. Removing it can be quite the faff and I can see myself losing a shot if things have to happen fast in the field and I am fumbling around with the lens cap, especially with the cord. Maybe I am just clumsy. For the 600TC the lens cap seems to have a much better design and I can remove it very quickly. Not sure why Nikon hasn’t used the same lens cap for both lenses, they are both about the same price. It’s the lens hood where the price difference is huge (about 199 Euros vs. 679(!!!) Euros).

Do you use the Nikon lens cap with the 600TC or did you get a separate one? I think in North America the ones from Zemlin are popular(I can’t find them anywhere in Germany but there are similar solutions). Expensive piece of plastic but at least for the 800PF it’s a huge difference in speed when removing it.

2) In the manual, Nikon says: “After changing focal lengths, be sure to latch the teleconverter switch lock to prevent unintended operation of the teleconverter switch.”

To me that sounds like a good way to miss a shot if I shoot at 840mm and the animal suddenly gets closer and the TC is locked. It seems that it’s not easy to slide the switch by mistake. In my Canon DSLR times, I had the 4/200-400 TC for a while and I never accidentally switched the TC on or off.
Do you lock the TC?

3). Have you used the lens with the Lens Coat Jr. bean bag (the lightest and smallest one). I think it should be enough, even though there is a bigger one. The reason for the small one is hiking, especially in the mountains but also longer distances in flatter terrain. If I am already carrying the 600TC or the 800PF and maybe a shorter lens like the 100-400 and a 2nd Z8, I do not want to carry a heavy bean bag weighing several kilograms, the lighter the better as long as it is good enough should I need one. I can always shoot handheld but for longer sessions, this becomes painful, even with the 800PF and more so with the noticeably heavier (and much bulkier) 600TC. Another photographer recommended buckwheat to fill the bean bag to keep the weight down a bit. I will try that.
The beanbag should be lighter than my Gitzo 3540L + Flexshooter Pro, otherwise I can just carry the tripod, but sometimes, especially in rocky terrain, a bean bean is easier to set up.

4) Anything else you would recommend for that lens that maybe is not obvious for someone who has not yet used it in the field?
I think Steve mentioned that sometimes it can be helpful to find a subject with 600 and then switch to 840. That makes sense to me, especially if the subject is moving around a lot.

I got my 600TC last wednesday :)
1) I have ordered a Zemlin lens cap for my 600 and I had used one for the 800PF. You can order them from Zemlin's page. They will send it anywhere in the world. The quality is much better than the usual lens caps you know from smaller Nikon lenses.

2) I don't lock the TC. After having used it for some days, I can't imagine any scenario where I may switch it unintentionally.

3) No, can't help here. I think you can always put something else (stones, Rucksack, clothes) under the small bean bag if it's not thick enough?

4) So far, no. I would recommend an insurance, but you already have one :)

What I can say so far: the 600TC seems to be more comfortable to handhold than the 800, although it's heavier. The shape seems more ergonomic to me.
Be careful not to smash the lens hood into the front glass. It can suddenly fall off as you losen the screw or it can twist if you hold the hood by its screw when you are about to attach it.

I got my 600TC last wednesday :)
1) I have ordered a Zemlin lens cap for my 600 and I had used one for the 800PF. You can order them from Zemlin's page. They will send it anywhere in the world. The quality is much better than the usual lens caps you know from smaller Nikon lenses.

2) I don't lock the TC. After having used it for some days, I can't imagine any scenario where I may switch it unintentionally.

3) No, can't help here. I think you can always put something else (stones, Rucksack, clothes) under the small bean bag if it's not thick enough?

4) So far, no. I would recommend an insurance, but you already have one :)

What I can say so far: the 600TC seems to be more comfortable to handhold than the 800, although it's heavier. The shape seems more ergonomic to me.
Be careful not to smash the lens hood into the front glass. It can suddenly fall off as you losen the screw or it can twist if you hold the hood by its screw when you are about to attach it.

My 800PF lens cap is from Augenblicke Einfangen, so far it's great.

I will be very careful with the lens hood. My former 600 EF II had a similar one (it was broken after a few days but the dealer than got a new one from Canon) and if you're in a hurry, I can see a disaster waiting to happen. Not sure If I like the hood of the 800PF better, it's also a bit of a faff but I am used to it now.

I also think the 600TC is relatively easy to handhold and comfortable even though my arms are not necessary the same size as those of Arnold Schwarzenegger in his best times :)
That said, after testing both the 800PF and 600TC in my living room, I do tire faster with the 600TC (it's almost 1kg heavier). The weight will also be quite noticeable when hiking or for flying when I also bring other lenses, for example, for landscapes.
I plan to keep both, maybe I'll change my mind after a few month but for now the much lower weight of the 800PF is a good argument for keeping it.
I currently have set the control ring to ISO, but I need to be careful not to accidentally change it when handholding.

I use an arca-swiss compatible lens foot from Augenblicke Einfangen (Canis 160) for the 800PF, I'll probably get the same for the 600. It sucks that Nikon can't make a proper lens foot, maybe it's a patent issue.

I also think the 600TC is relatively easy to handhold and comfortable even though my arms are not necessary the same size as those of Arnold Schwarzenegger in his best times :)
That said, after testing both the 800PF and 600TC in my living room, I do tire faster with the 600TC (it's almost 1kg heavier). The weight will also be quite noticeable when hiking or for flying when I also bring other lenses, for example, for landscapes.
I was skeptic about that 1 kg extra weight, but with the Z9 attached, it's only 24% heavier. I think it should be possible to increase muscle power by 24% ;)

I have set the control ring to exposure compensation, because at least I can see it in the viefinder if I accidentally turn it. However, I probably will disable it soon or later.
Actually I have never seen anyone reviewing a Nikon Z lens who didn't say: "I have disabled it".

I was skeptic about that 1 kg extra weight, but with the Z9 attached, it's only 24% heavier. I think it should be possible to increase muscle power by 24% ;)

I have set the control ring to exposure compensation, because at least I can see it in the viefinder if I accidentally turn it. However, I probably will disable it soon or later.
Actually I have never seen anyone reviewing a Nikon Z lens who didn't say: "I have disabled it".

I only have two Z8s, so it's already lighter, maybe I'll get a Z9 II if that comes out in 2025/26.
I am 48 and although reasonable fit and regularly exercising, eventually I will notice the 1kg difference. And I am not getting younger, unfortunately.
I need to lift more weights, I'll soon have a new room available for my dumbbells and barbells, so there is no excuse :)

I had already disabled the control ring when I accidentally changed the aperture, which was the default when I got the 800PF. I am just trying if this works for ISO. The button at the top is a bit more cumbersome to use for ISO but I just need to get more practice, I've only used a Z8 for 6 weeks so far.

Back