Grad ND Filter

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi everyone,

I have a Nikon Z8 with 40 mm f 2.0 and 180-600 mm Z series lenses. I am mostly into Bird and Landscape Photography.
I have a 70-200 f 2.8 FL lens and a 600 mm f4.0 EFL lens besides quite a few other F mount lenses. I use the FTZ 2 Adaptor with the F mount lenses.
I have not attempted to shoot video and feel like trying it occasionally. Need your advice on shooting video of birds and landscape mostly in bright lighting conditions. I have learnt that one must use a shutter speed that is twice the number of frames per second for video.
I think there is no option but to use a Grad ND filter if I were to stick to low ISO and the recommended Shutter speed. Do I need one ?
If it is essential, should I buy a 1 to 5 stop Grad ND or 5 to 9 stop one ?
Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

I have a Nikon Z8 with 40 mm f 2.0 and 180-600 mm Z series lenses. I am mostly into Bird and Landscape Photography.
I have a 70-200 f 2.8 FL lens and a 600 mm f4.0 EFL lens besides quite a few other F mount lenses. I use the FTZ 2 Adaptor with the F mount lenses.
I have not attempted to shoot video and feel like trying it occasionally. Need your advice on shooting video of birds and landscape mostly in bright lighting conditions. I have learnt that one must use a shutter speed that is twice the number of frames per second for video.
I think there is no option but to use a Grad ND filter if I were to stick to low ISO and the recommended Shutter speed. Do I need one ?
If it is essential, should I buy a 1 to 5 stop Grad ND or 5 to 9 stop one ?
Thanks in advance.
I think you mean variable, not graduated.

And yes, pretty much a requirement for daytime outdoor video if you plan to shoot wide open, native ISO, 180 shutter angle.

Nisi makes a great kit that covers 1-8 stops. Personally, unless I shoot something like a timelapse sunset, the 1-4 suffices.

M
I think you mean variable, not graduated.

And yes, pretty much a requirement for daytime outdoor video if you plan to shoot wide open, native ISO, 180 shutter angle.

Nisi makes a great kit that covers 1-8 stops. Personally, unless I shoot something like a timelapse sunset, the 1-4 suffices.
My bad. Yes. I meant Variable ND Filter.

Thanks for the quick response and also for correcting me

Back