Grand Cayman Suggestions?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Larry S.

Supporting Member
Marketplace
We are going to Grand Cayman in late Spring. Does anyone have recommendations for locations that would have wildlife photography opportunities. We will be traveling light so my gear choices will be limited…
1. D850 w/16-35 & 70-300 or 2. Zf or Z8 w/14-30 & 24-200… A dark-horse option for the longer lens would be a “Z”+FTZ+ the 70-300mm P lens.

This is an underwater destination. I would get a cheap underwater camera like the ones from OM or Ricoh. These are good general use lenses for situations like when kayaking or sailing, where you do not want to risk damage to your primary cameras.

I made some wonderful dives in Grand Cayman! LOL!

Well Karen……now ya’ done it! Meg and I just looked at your dive pix…. She wants us to take our dive gear..🙄 We’ve done a lot of snorkeling in Carib and Galapagos so we best consider this opportunity also…. 🤿

Attachments

• 016_16.jpeg
    016_16.jpeg
    368 KB · Views: 33
  • larry coustou and penguin.jpeg
    larry coustou and penguin.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 32
This is an underwater destination. I would get a cheap underwater camera like the ones from OM or Ricoh. These are good general use lenses for situations like when kayaking or sailing, where you do not want to risk damage to your primary cameras.
Good suggestion……. We’ll get a “shoot & toss” underwater camera…. We’ve had acceptable results with these and will look into the Ricoh/OM cameras…

Sting Ray city used to be full of sting rays in about 8-10' of water. That's where the images of folks with sting rays were shot. I did 2 trips staying on the Grand Cayman Aggressor. Diving the Bloody Bay wall was fun. That's where I photographed Molly the Manta on a night dive...but I understand she is no longer there.....

Oh and tell Meg I got a beautiful 3D 18K gold pendant there, too! Jus' tryin' to help..............:giggle:

Sting Ray city used to be full of sting rays in about 8-10' of water. That's where the images of folks with sting rays were shot. I did 2 trips staying on the Grand Cayman Aggressor. Diving the Bloody Bay wall was fun. That's where I photographed Molly the Manta on a night dive...but I understand she is no longer there.....

Oh and tell Meg I got a beautiful 3D 18K gold pendant there, too! Jus' tryin' to help..............:giggle:
Meg says “thanks” on the jewelry alert!1 She’s written it down.. She’s done “Hol Chan” off Belize on a trip w/girlfriend and highly recommends that location. The pix I sent above were from 2004 Galapagos….. BTW……thanks for the help with her “Bling”!🤩

It is a HUGH cave underwater where the top has caved in. You go down - and see basically very little since there is not much light at 100' down. And there are almost no plant or marine life at that depth. You stay about 5 minutes and then begin a VERY controlled assent. At least that is what we experienced. Maybe it has become more unstable over the years? We were there in the late 90's.

Back