Grand Teton NP Trip Planning

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Abinoone

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Greetings,
I’m planning a trip to GTNP in late Sept/early Oct, and would appreciate specific recommendations on wildlife and landscape photo opportunities, as well as on affordable lodging. Surprisingly, I’ve visited Yellowstone many times, but until now just never felt the need or desire to make it down to Grand Teton, even though I know there are many iconic locations there. I’m especially interested in the usual large mammals that live in the park, but also landscapes besides the obligatory Mormon Row and Oxbow Bend. As for lodging, I prefer interesting, somewhat out of the way places instead of hotels (for example, in Yellowstone I usually stay in Silver Gate) but of course cost is a consideration. I’m planning for one week in YNP, then a week in GTNP. Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

We've had good luck at signal mountain lodge, moderately priced as far as national parks go. You can get a cabin with a porch overlooking the lake with access to a little rocky beach.

The drive up signal mountain is nice for sunsets, go to the next to highest overlook to face the right direction. There are Fox up there and some elk.

The iconic hike is hidden falls/inspiration point, but if you keep walking past inspiration point you walk along a stream where you find moose and I think muskrat and bear. Keep walking for a view of cascade canyon. 9 miles in all if I recall.

The trails around Jenny Lake and string lake are nice. Also if you drive toward the national forest beyond the Mormon row area, or east on Gros Ventre road the bison hang out in the large grassy areas back there. It's cool to try to frame the bison against the mountain (camera pointing west) or with the Moulton barn in the frame.

At that time of year you are near the end of the season for the restaurants and stores, best to check what is open. There can be snow but expect nights to be 30-40 F and days maybe 60s.

Last edited:
Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
Sounds like a great trip Clark.

A few thoughts:

- Outside of camping there's no real cheap lodging in or around GTNP. I agree Signal Mountain Lodge is closer to the affordable side for park lodges and puts you up North near very good wildlife habitat and near some of the great scenic locations. Staying in the town of Jackson is definitely an option, still not cheap but it does open up a lot more hotels and there are plenty of vacation rental properties in and around Jackson (Airbnb, Vacasa, Vrbo, etc.). The park actually begins about 3 miles from the edge of the town of Jackson but a lot of the more popular viewpoints and certainly the more active Bear areas are about 45 minutes to an hour North of town. Still the town of Jackson opens up a lot more lodging and eating options than staying up at Signal Mountain or Jackson Lake Lodge or one of the Northern dude ranches though those are all decent options if you really want to stay in the heart of the park. There are a few rental cabins at Dornan's in Moose that splits the difference between town and the Northern Park as well.

- There are scenic views of the Teton range all over the park but in addition to the Oxbow Bend and Snake River Overlook a few popular spots include: Schwabacher's Landing with its reflection pools, Jenny Lake Overlook (or many spots along the Jenny Lake one way scenic loop looking over the lake towards the range), various pullouts along Jackson Lake, the view from Jackson Lake Lodge itself looking out over the Willow Flats area. There are many other less visited areas as well but those are good places to start.

- As posted above, the hike to Hidden Falls with an optional boat ride across Jenny lake or across and back is a very nice short outing. If you plan to photograph the falls, consider an overcast day or early in the morning (typically prior to the first boat of the day so walk around and take the boat back) or late in the afternoon is much better than a bright day that all but guarantees the waterfall will blow out based on the shafts of sunlight hitting it and the relatively dark surroundings. Lot's of wildlife in Cascade Canyon near and then beyond the falls if you don't mind hiking with your gear. Moose are common there as are Black Bears, Mule Deer, the occasional Elk, Ground Squirrels, Pika, Marmots (including the jet black Marmots unique to the Tetons) and various birds including American Dippers, Hairy and Downey Woodpeckers, Clarks Nutcrackers, Stellar's Jays and others. Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point/Cascade Canyon beyond it are some of the most heavily traveled areas of the park so traveling on the edges of day are good for light and wildlife activity but also lower crowds. This is getting into the backcountry so bear spray is a smart move.

- The Swan ponds on the very edge of town looking out over the National Elk Refuge (thousands of Elk overwinter here each year but in September don't expect to see any Elk on the refuge) is a great and easy spot for waterfowl especially Trumpeter Swans. Flight shots here are common as they come and go with the refuge grasslands and the Gros Ventre range in the distance making nice backgrounds.

- One or many slow drives around the Antelope Flats loop past Kelly Warmsprings and the town of Kelly is a good place to look for Moose and in September a great place to see Pronghorn, Mule Deer and various hawks.

- Early morning or late evening drives along the inner park road, the road from the town of Moose to Signal Mountain running past Jenny and String lakes, along with some of the side roads is good for Elk (perhaps bugling Elk in the evenings in September especially in the meadows closer to the base of the mountains) is pretty good for large mammals, foxes, coyotes and other wildlife.

- The parking area below Jackson Lake dam can be good for various birds including American White Pelican but in recent years there's been an active Beaver pond there which can make for some good shots.

There are plenty of other areas in the park to explore depending on things like how much walking you're willing to do. Unfortunately like Yellowstone there's a lot of area to cover and no single place the wildlife hangs out so there's typically a fair amount of driving or walking involved or pure waiting as many of the Bear watchers up North in the park do every day.

Hope you have a great trip.

Sounds like a great trip Clark.

A few thoughts:

- Outside of camping there's no real cheap lodging in or around GTNP. I agree Signal Mountain Lodge is closer to the affordable side for park lodges and puts you up North near very good wildlife habitat and near some of the great scenic locations. Staying in the town of Jackson is definitely an option, still not cheap but it does open up a lot more hotels and there are plenty of vacation rental properties in and around Jackson (Airbnb, Vacasa, Vrbo, etc.). The park actually begins about 3 miles from the edge of the town of Jackson but a lot of the more popular viewpoints and certainly the more active Bear areas are about 45 minutes to an hour North of town. Still the town of Jackson opens up a lot more lodging and eating options than staying up at Signal Mountain or Jackson Lake Lodge or one of the Northern dude ranches though those are all decent options if you really want to stay in the heart of the park. There are a few rental cabins at Dornan's in Moose that splits the difference between town and the Northern Park as well.

- There are scenic views of the Teton range all over the park but in addition to the Oxbow Bend and Snake River Overlook a few popular spots include: Schwabacher's Landing with its reflection pools, Jenny Lake Overlook (or many spots along the Jenny Lake one way scenic loop looking over the lake towards the range), various pullouts along Jackson Lake, the view from Jackson Lake Lodge itself looking out over the Willow Flats area. There are many other less visited areas as well but those are good places to start.

- As posted above, the hike to Hidden Falls with an optional boat ride across Jenny lake or across and back is a very nice short outing. If you plan to photograph the falls, consider an overcast day or early in the morning (typically prior to the first boat of the day so walk around and take the boat back) or late in the afternoon is much better than a bright day that all but guarantees the waterfall will blow out based on the shafts of sunlight hitting it and the relatively dark surroundings. Lot's of wildlife in Cascade Canyon near and then beyond the falls if you don't mind hiking with your gear. Moose are common there as are Black Bears, Mule Deer, the occasional Elk, Ground Squirrels, Pika, Marmots (including the jet black Marmots unique to the Tetons) and various birds including American Dippers, Hairy and Downey Woodpeckers, Clarks Nutcrackers, Stellar's Jays and others. Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point/Cascade Canyon beyond it are some of the most heavily traveled areas of the park so traveling on the edges of day are good for light and wildlife activity but also lower crowds. This is getting into the backcountry so bear spray is a smart move.

- The Swan ponds on the very edge of town looking out over the National Elk Refuge (thousands of Elk overwinter here each year but in September don't expect to see any Elk on the refuge) is a great and easy spot for waterfowl especially Trumpeter Swans. Flight shots here are common as they come and go with the refuge grasslands and the Gros Ventre range in the distance making nice backgrounds.

- One or many slow drives around the Antelope Flats loop past Kelly Warmsprings and the town of Kelly is a good place to look for Moose and in September a great place to see Pronghorn, Mule Deer and various hawks.

- Early morning or late evening drives along the inner park road, the road from the town of Moose to Signal Mountain running past Jenny and String lakes, along with some of the side roads is good for Elk (perhaps bugling Elk in the evenings in September especially in the meadows closer to the base of the mountains) is pretty good for large mammals, foxes, coyotes and other wildlife.

- The parking area below Jackson Lake dam can be good for various birds including American White Pelican but in recent years there's been an active Beaver pond there which can make for some good shots.

There are plenty of other areas in the park to explore depending on things like how much walking you're willing to do. Unfortunately like Yellowstone there's a lot of area to cover and no single place the wildlife hangs out so there's typically a fair amount of driving or walking involved or pure waiting as many of the Bear watchers up North in the park do every day.

Hope you have a great trip.
Thank you Dave! Just what I‘m looking for - very interesting and great recommendations!

A couple of additional suggestions for Wildlife. The Moose-Wilson road, which starts just past the GTNP visitor center, can be great for wildlife, although the best area for Moose is typically no stopping with park personnel on site all day. Also the Gros Ventre campground, which is located 10-15 miles East of the park can be an excellent place for moose. Pacific Creek Road and Two Oceans Lake Road and the hike around the lake can be good for bears and Moose. This road starts just past the Moran entrance station.

A couple of additional suggestions for Wildlife. The Moose-Wilson road, which starts just past the GTNP visitor center, can be great for wildlife, although the best area for Moose is typically no stopping with park personnel on site all day. Also the Gros Ventre campground, which is located 10-15 miles East of the park can be an excellent place for moose. Pacific Creek Road and Two Oceans Lake Road and the hike around the lake can be good for bears and Moose. This road starts just past the Moran entrance station.
Thank you!

Oddly, another place you often see a single moose is in Moose, in the water under the bridge leading to the Dornans concession where they have bike rentals, food, etc.

If it's open that time of year, another nice hike is the Rockefeller preserve, also along the moose wilson road. Walk up only a couple miles following one side of a strong stream up and another side down, with a nice lake view at the top.

If in Jackson, the National Museum of wildlife art is worthwhile. And there are many galleries in Jackson, including Mangelsens images of nature. Might as well cool your heels at snake river brewery.

I appreciate the information, here. I've lived in Colorado all my life but have not been to the Grand Tetons since I was a kid. I gotta' get up there!

We like to stay at Colter Bay, the cabins are decent and less expensive than almost anything else in the Tetons. The Cabins will close in last September but I don't know when the other facilities close at Colter Bay.

There are camping cabins up at Flagg ranch, way north almost to Yellowstone. But it's a drive to where the action is.

We do a workshop that time of the year in the Tetons. We use Togwotee Mountain lodge which is about 30 minutes from the Moran entrance at the northern end of the park.

The thing to remember about that time of the year is that some of the facilities in the park close the last week of September. Some go into October so keep that in mind.

Also be prepared for big crowds if a bear, Moose, or Elk makes an appearance. Word gets around fast.

I will also add that one of our favorite places to eat in the Tetons is Leeks Marina. It used to have excellent calzones but they have changed their menu the last few years, I think simply because of the difficulty of finding enough summer help. They serve good pizza and you can eat on the patio and look at the Tetons!

Abinoone,

I think everyone has covered the area excellent. Just adding my two cents on a place to stay. Look at Elk Refuge Inn, close to Jackson and convenient to most areas in the Tetons. Recommend trying to get on the second floor, nice view of the refuge from the porch parking in the upper rear of the inn. Park right by your door.

Back