Grand Tetons - Black Bears and Moose

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Great hike along Cascade Canyon - spotted a momma and baby moose on one side of the trail with a momma bear and two cubs on a boulder field opposite. On the way back down we ran into the same bears just off the trail.

Appreciate any comments to critique!

_DSC9584 4.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

_DSC9671 4.jpg

_DSC9676 2.jpg
_DSC9659 4.jpg

Well, you had a good outing. Dang you seem close to those cubs! I quite like the 'intimate' feel of the moose shot; that foreground blur is very nice in adding to the 'getting a sneak peak' feel.

Well, you had a good outing. Dang you seem close to those cubs! I quite like the 'intimate' feel of the moose shot; that foreground blur is very nice in adding to the 'getting a sneak peak' feel.
Yes, makes it worth lugging the camera equipment on a 15 mile hike! These were spotted in the first two miles of the hike which is littered with people (at the end of the hike we waited an hour for the boat ride across Jenny Lake to get back to the parking lot). The moose I noticed rustling around the edge of the pond before getting in the water. Quickly there were 10+ people there watching. On the opposite side of the trail a family began climbing a hill of boulders to "get a better look". All of a sudden the momma and two cubs appear climbing the boulders within 15 feet of them - scary moments that make you scratch your head.

Didn't get any keepers of the bears then, but on the way back 4 hours later we saw another group of folks stopped on the trail, and the two cubs were in the trees about 10 feet off the edge. The momma was about 20 yards in the trees patiently waiting. She did not seem stressed - but a mom and cubs should make everyone nervous. There were sightings of them along this trail all week - it's such a high traffic area of the park.

Back