Gray-heading Flying Foxes

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

kkr_images

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Most encounters with bats are at night when flashes are essential for getting a good shot. While in Queensland, Australia, I had the opportunity to see thousands of bats during the day but this posed another set of challenges. We arrived at mid-day. There was not a cloud in the sky and it was very hot. While we could get remarkably close to the roosting bats, the bright light and heat distortion made good images a challenge. Even more challenging was taking pictures of the bats as they flew overhead. Below are a few of the pictures I managed to take during two short sessions with these super cool mammals. Be sure to look closely at the second shot; there is a baby hanging on to the mother's belly as she flies from one part of the roost to another.
Gray-headed Flying Fox in flight copy.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Gray-headed Flying Fox mother flying with baby holding on tight copy.jpg
Gray-headed Flying Fox portrait.jpg
Grey-headed Flying Fox mother and baby hanging out on a hot day 2 copy.jpg

Most encounters with bats are at night when flashes are essential for getting a good shot. While in Queensland, Australia, I had the opportunity to see thousands of bats during the day but this posed another set of challenges. We arrived at mid-day. There was not a cloud in the sky and it was very hot. While we could get remarkably close to the roosting bats, the bright light and heat distortion made good images a challenge. Even more challenging was taking pictures of the bats as they flew overhead. Below are a few of the pictures I managed to take during two short sessions with these super cool mammals. Be sure to look closely at the second shot; there is a baby hanging on to the mother's belly as she flies from one part of the roost to another.View attachment 84713View attachment 84714View attachment 84715View attachment 84716
Wonderful set of images Kathy.
Happy trails.

Very nice images of these flying foxes, Kathy. 😻
If I may ask, where in QLD did you get them in daytime? We only saw them at night!

Very nice images of these flying foxes, Kathy. 😻
If I may ask, where in QLD did you get them in daytime? We only saw them at night!
We saw them on the road down from O'Reilly's...if that helps. This is a well-known spot right along the road where thousands of bats roost each day - much to the chagrin of some locals. If you need more specifics, I can try to track them down.

We saw them on the road down from O'Reilly's...if that helps. This is a well-known spot right along the road where thousands of bats roost each day - much to the chagrin of some locals. If you need more specifics, I can try to track them down.
Thank you Kathy, I can now Google for it. 🤗

Back