Great blue heron photo

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I like this photo but wife is uncertain about it. She claims she can't make heads or tails of it. I wonder what you think? Or what can be done to make it a better photo? I'm not looking for you to settle a domestic dispute. :)

_DSC1740_001-jpeg.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I agree that it's hard to tell what it is at first. I had to stick with it to 'get' that it was two birds. Once I saw it I thought it was pretty cool.

The two birds blend into one, which in one sense is artistic but in another sense is distracting. It's not bad, but I suppose I would like it more if it was at a different angle where there was space between the two birds.

It's awesome.
I agree that it's hard to tell what it is at first. I had to stick with it to 'get' that it was two birds. Once I saw it I thought it was pretty cool.
Thanks, Dan and Bill.
The two birds blend into one, which in one sense is artistic but in another sense is distracting. It's not bad, but I suppose I would like it more if it was at a different angle where there was space between the two birds.
I understand your point. But then again, the rather ceremonial look to the photo would have been lost. I suppose the compromise would be to slightly blur out and desaturate the figure in the rear through processing to create isolation. That would be a pain in the ass project!

I like it. It challenges the viewer to take a second and third look causing them to engage. What more could you want out of a photo than engagement with your viewer. Nice job.

My first thought was a great nesting moment between two Great Blue Herons on a windy day. After that, the light is a little harsh, but there is great feather detail. I like the poses. If only the Herons could do that earlier when the light was better. I like it.

I love the capture just would prefer for myself that it was a little less light and I know those moments sometimes can catch you off guard.

My first thought was a great nesting moment between two Great Blue Herons on a windy day. After that, the light is a little harsh, but there is great feather detail. I like the poses. If only the Herons could do that earlier when the light was better. I like it.
I love the capture just would prefer for myself that it was a little less light and I know those moments sometimes can catch you off guard.
Thanks! As you know, you take what you can get.

It's a dramatic shot. I like it with the wind and the bird's lined up and looking at each other like this. It looks a bit washed out, and at the same time the shadows might be a tiny bit too dark.

It is confusing at first sight. The thing with this shot is it makes you stop and look trying to understand whets happing. I think the more time people spend looking at the shot the better. It may or may not land well with the wildlife people but I think this shot maybe liked in the art community.

The only person that matters if is good or not is you. If you like it that’s all that matters.

Last edited:
It's awesome! However, the shadows have been lightened way too much on the upper bird and there is no contrast in the darks of the photo. Pull the shadows back down in that part and you have a winner!

It's awesome! However, the shadows have been lightened way too much on the upper bird and there is no contrast in the darks of the photo. Pull the shadows back down in that part and you have a winner!
I know what you mean. There was some foliage swaying in the wind that lightened up part of the photo. I'll see what I can do.

It is confusing at first sight. The thing with this shot is it makes you stop and look trying to understand whets happing. I think the more time people spend looking at the shot the better. It may or may not land well with the wildlife people but I think this shot maybe liked in the art community.

The only person that matters if is good or not is you. If you like it that’s all that matters.
Thanks. I'm just curious what would the wildlife people object to.

Back