Great Egret

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This is one of my favorite images from 2021. My wife isn't happy with it, but she can't put her finger on exactly why. I'd like some feedback as to how this image could be better.
Nikon D500, Nikkor 500mm f/5.6 PF, 1/2000, f/5.6, ISO 250 (auto ISO). Processed in Adobe LRC.

Thanks.
500_8219-d.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

In my opinion, a more visible eye would make it a better photo. A real picky point is that upper foliage on the left doesn't add to the image. The best way to get rid of it would have been to take the shot from a position to the right if that would not have added a different distraction.

This is a unique shot. And because of that I’m drawn in. By unique I mean the behavior of the bird is unusual…the neck curving out from the wing…- a bit mysterious by nature as we don’t always get to see the static moments. And then there is the light and the shadows and the feathers creating a lot of depth and intrigue. I love this image. Whatever you did or didn’t do with it IMO is strikingly beautiful.

The lighting is really lovely particularly against the dark BG. As a photographer I can see why you like the shot. Yes if the bird's head was turned such that the eye was visible it would make a huge difference. The curve of the neck is almost disorienting and it takes a couple of seconds to figure out what's going on. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But if the eye was visible it would immediately anchor the image. It is certainly a matter of taste/preference but having the eye visible on wildlife photos is one of those "rules". As photographers many of us like to break the rules but they exist because experience/history has shown that's what VIEWERS prefer. I'd say if you wife doesn't like the shot she's probably an average viewer.

After typing the above I tested my theory by showing my wife the image. She typically responds poorly to photos that stray from the rules. Her response to the image was that it took her a minute to figure out what it was. She said that it looks "angelic" but would be much better if the eye was visible.

This is one of my favorite images from 2021. My wife isn't happy with it, but she can't put her finger on exactly why. I'd like some feedback as to how this image could be better.
Nikon D500, Nikkor 500mm f/5.6 PF, 1/2000, f/5.6, ISO 250 (auto ISO). Processed in Adobe LRC.

Thanks.View attachment 28904
Hi Frank.

Beautiful light, beautiful photo. A little more eye would improve it but it is already awesome.

JIM

In my opinion, a more visible eye would make it a better photo. A real picky point is that upper foliage on the left doesn't add to the image. The best way to get rid of it would have been to take the shot from a position to the right if that would not have added a different distraction.
Thanks for the comments. Regarding the foliage, I had noticed that. There was a tree just to my right, and I wasn't able to position myself any better. I agree on the eye. I just went through the 10 or so images in this sequence, and he never turned his head in a way to show his eye. That gives me a reason to go out and look for another opportunity!

I like it personally, beautiful light and feather detail, a clean and dynamic composition. Trying to think of possible reasons someone wouldn't like it I come up with the foliage on the left, which could be cleared away in photoshop. Also, on the idea that the eye is drawn to the area of greatest contrast, the brightest area is that blown out bit way up top, so maybe consider bringing that down a little to let the eye travel down to the head. But that is just being picky, that would be a wall hanger for me after cleaning the foliage and fixing any blown out areas.

Thanks for the comments. Regarding the foliage, I had noticed that. There was a tree just to my right, and I wasn't able to position myself any better. I agree on the eye. I just went through the 10 or so images in this sequence, and he never turned his head in a way to show his eye. That gives me a reason to go out and look for another opportunity!

Lack of a better position to shoot from is always the bane of the nature photographer. More and more, I'm finding that it is another photographer that blocks the vantage point that I'd like to try. Oh, well, the early worm gets the bird!

Thanks.View attachment 28904
Overall I like it a lot. Great detail in the feathers and and overall exposure.
A few suggestions: try to eliminate the upper-left foliage (since the photo was already taken using editing software to make it black; see more of the eye; perhaps a little fill light around the head.

Back