If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

NorthernFocus

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I thought all of the yellow legs I captured a few days ago were the lesser variety. But as I continued to cull images I think maybe I've got both. Any expert opinions?

1)
_NZ93170.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

2)
_NZ93211.jpg

Unless I see them standing side by side, I can't tell the difference.
I'd have zero chance of differentiating them in the field.

Dan, you are right. The first one is a greater yellowlegs and #2 is a lesser. Number 2 has a shorter bill. Nice catch.
Thanks, Ralph. Interesting how the mind works. As soon as I glance at the two images the difference is obvious. But the longer I study them the more they look alike:confused:

Often times it's best not to think too much. Then again my bride would say I'm not at risk in that regard.

I'd have zero chance of differentiating them in the field.

Thanks, Ralph. Interesting how the mind works. As soon as I glance at the two images the difference is obvious. But the longer I study them the more they look alike:confused:

Often times it's best not to think too much. Then again my bride would say I'm not at risk in that regard.
Dan, If you compare the size of the bill in proportion to body size you can see the difference. But it is not by much.

Nice shots for comparison. The articles I've read about them said that the bill on the greater yellow legs is longer than the length of it's head and the Lesser's bill is the length of its head. You can see that is true in these pics.

Nice images, Dan. My guide says: Lesser Yellow legs - Wings project beyond tail. Yellow legs. Straight bill
GYL - Tail is longer than wings at rest; orange-yellow legs; slightly upturned bill; spotted upperparts, also the stripes on the breast area extends below the wing.
This is over and above the size difference.
1710925798981.jpeg