Grey Heron and Chicks in Africa

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BarkingBeans Coffee

Michael H
Supporting Member
Marketplace
What I don't understand is how do these chicks survive in Africa totally exposed to not only the open sky but anything in, or near, the pond like a monitor lizard. Does one adult always stay in the nest?

1670363717385.png

Last edited:
I like this picture. Particularly on the web site where it's even more immersive in full screen mode. 👏
Thanks @PhD69. I thought so too looking at the chicks faces. I did use burst shooting to try to capture them all looking our way. I am new to wildlife and the other thing that was interesting to me is the grass bits in the way. I decided I like them, that's nature.

I am asking myself how it will look if youcrop it only on chicks? with only legs of adult Heron to show the scale. We often see adult Herons but rarely see the chicks! And those are especially interesting and somehow funny looking. Actually, the chicks are the most important objuect on that photo IMO

I am asking myself how it will look if youcrop it only on chicks? with only legs of adult Heron to show the scale. We often see adult Herons but rarely see the chicks! And those are especially interesting and somehow funny looking. Actually, the chicks are the most important objuect on that photo IMO

They do like mini dinosaurs for sure. I didn't link this image so the sharpness is a bit lower.
_MDH5551-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I must grinse when I saw that pic! :ROFLMAO: :love: they look gorgeous and funny. That is what I meant. I even didn't know that the chicks have such short beak. Now you can post the photo into Wildlife Presentation section and ask: whose kids are those?
(y) 😀
very nice!

Back