Halcyon Pond [IR]

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nikon D800 ,AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR ,UG2a
1/320s f/5.6 at 16.0mm iso125
original.jpg

Impressive DOF and superb processing! It's been many years since I did IR. Maybe next year I'll consider getting an IR body and re-learn how to process the images. I was never this good at processing. LOL!

Impressive DOF and superb processing! It's been many years since I did IR. Maybe next year I'll consider getting an IR body and re-learn how to process the images. I was never this good at processing. LOL!
You just need to keep the contrast up. otherwise IR tends to be flat... IR inherently has lower dynamic range than visible, so things can look a bit compressed.

All of my IR images are "pushed".... someone on another forum once mentioned that my images look processed and my answer was... Yep.. you name it I did it!

I will say that UG2a is a tricky filter to get to understand.. it used to be that the white balance boundaries were less constrained (e.g. modified D200), now you need to really work at it to get a good UG2a result. UG2a leaks some blue and IR so dual band... the UV portion is blocked by the lenses I use.. but the effect gives a nice sky properly adjusted.

1/200s f/5.6 at 19.0mm iso125
original.jpg

I will say that UG2a is a tricky filter to get to understand.. it used to be that the white balance boundaries were less constrained (e.g. modified D200), now you need to really work at it to get a good UG2a result. UG2a leaks some blue and IR so dual band... the UV portion is blocked by the lenses I use.. but the effect gives a nice sky properly adjusted.

1/200s f/5.6 at 19.0mm iso125
original.jpg
Thanks for the information! Your work is very inspiring!

Bob Friedman, you may have posted the details before, but I'm too lazy today to look for it elsewhere... Who converted your D800 to IR? Are you entirely pleased with the camera afterwards? If you don't want to answer here, please PM me. (I'm thinking about converting one of my cameras to IR, but I've got a bit of research to do beforehand.)

Bob Friedman, you may have posted the details before, but I'm too lazy today to look for it elsewhere... Who converted your D800 to IR? Are you entirely pleased with the camera afterwards? If you don't want to answer here, please PM me. (I'm thinking about converting one of my cameras to IR, but I've got a bit of research to do beforehand.)
I use Maxmax.com for all my conversions... I have four camera conversions. D800E (RG830), D800 (RG715), D800Monochrome, D800 (UV-VIS-IR)

Back