If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DHL

Tides were the lowest of the year and roughly coincided with sunrise and sunset early last week on Barkley Sound on Vancouver Island, making for interesting photo ops in good light.

This harbor seal was on Wizard Island near Bamfield, BC. The tide was quite low, exposing the sea grass low in the intertidal zone and the sun just rising on the horizon.

BTW, if you are looking for a great place to visit on the west coast of Vancouver Island, you should take a look at Outer Shores Lodge in Bamfield. The lodge is beautiful, with a great view of Barkley Sound, and the food is outstanding! Russell Markel, who some of you might know from having been on his boat, Passing Cloud, co-owns the Lodge with Scott Wallace, who hosted us last week. Both are marine scientists who have tons of knowledge to share with their guests!

Vancouver Island_14456.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nice shot. They always look either sad or scared to death.
Thank you!

I’m told they have good reason to look scared or sad. As I understand it, transient orcas eat 1 seal a day and there are 5,000 transient orcas around Vancouver Island, which means ~1.8 million seals are eaten every year!

Looks like the seal would like to have a nap or am I projecting :unsure:
Looking through images I notice that the eye on the sunny side often “squints” as though it is uncomfortable with bright light, giving the appearance of being sleepy. As for you projecting, I have no comment. Lol

Last edited: