Has anyone tried Z9 F Mount 500 or 600 f4 with TC-20E III?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I hope someone has done this and replies. I have the 500f4 and both the TC 20III and TC 1.4 II. As soon as the Z9 arrives I will be very keen to test both. I am also keen to try both with the 300 F2.8.
I am interested to see if the focus speed is as good as people suggest, especially with the camera mounted on the Wimberley side mount gimbal.
Using the 500 with the 1.4 would give me a very similar view to the 500 on the D500 which is actually a really great combo for small birds in my experience. It greatly reduces the chances that they will fly away.

Thanks for your reply. The 1.4 and the 1.7 are terrific with the 500f4 and the Z9
My guess is the 2 probably also does well - I plan to buy one and just wanted some confirmation.

The resolution does drop on the 500 with the TC 20 III and focus speed was poor. The manual for the D500 suggests that the cross sensor focus points available for use drops off a lot if the TC20III is used.
It is quite good on the 300 F2.8 but once I got the 500F4 I stopped using that combination.

I have all the equipment to do what you are curious about, but only a few days into owning the Z9,, I have not had the opportunity or need yet.

I have used my Z7II, 600f4G, and TC2III with no issues a few times while shooting snowy owls in the middle of a field. Seems like every time I had that TC on though,it is a hope for the best and my subject is still too far away.

I have all the equipment to do what you are curious about, but only a few days into owning the Z9,, I have not had the opportunity or need yet.

I have used my Z7II, 600f4G, and TC2III with no issues a few times while shooting snowy owls in the middle of a field. Seems like every time I had that TC on though,it is a hope for the best and my subject is still too far away.
Thanks Ductape - sounds like it is worth a try. I am guessing the Z9 may handle AF better than the Z7II - naturally in good light.

With the TC-20 I need to use a monopod for stability with the greater image magnification. The TC-20 III is sharper than the TC-14 II and the TC-17 to a very noticeable degree. When I shot film the 1/2 stop gained with the TC-17 could be important but with ISO 640 and higher digital options I saw no reason to have it and I sold it when I sold my film cameras.

I was curious about the performance of the TC20EIII on mirrorless also. This is one of a bunch of test shots I took a couple weeks ago, Z6II, 500mm f/4 G, with the TC20EIII. Heavily cropped, heavily processed, and it’s not horrible…nothing spectacular, but not horrible either. I didn’t notice any real issues with the Z6II grabbing focus on mostly static subjects, I just think the optics are not optimal with the TC20 and the older lens. My TC14EIII works fabulously with this same camera/lens combo. I don’t have a Z9 yet, but I’m sure the autofocus wont be an issue in using a TC20 on the Z9, but the optics could be a bit dodgy.
A3D39564-1DE2-4C3E-A4FD-7444629A0AE6.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back