have you used physical conditioning to improve your ability to do wildlife photograph

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I got seriously into wildlife photography a little more than two years ago as I approached retirement and had sufficient funds to improve my equipment. In approximately the last year and a half I began acquiring heavier and longer telephoto lenses.

I began to experience mid/upper back pain from carrying all the extra equipment.

I have an athletic background and have always been in good shape. I am however getting older.

Recently I completed a course of physical therapy aimed at adjusting my posture and improving my upper body strength.

It helped me a lot.

the question is whether you tried physical conditioning to improve your ability to handle wildlife photography. If so how did it work out for you?

Would also be interested in knowing what sorts of exercises worked the best.

You are invited to share your experiences and recommendations.

I've been doing CrossFit since 2011 and love it. Yeah - understand it's not for everyone, but coming from a military background, the comradery, being time-boxed, coach-led, and the variety has been key to keeping me healthy and in shape since retiring from the Army.

Like any other business....I'm sure the coaching, clientele, and programming varies greatly. Local CrossFit gyms here now offer a variety of programming to meet various ages and skill-levels.

I definitely believe CrossFit has provided me the strength and conditioning to handle any and all my photo challenges here locally.....granted, nothing terribly taxing, but the kneeling, squatting, and other odd positions I put my body are easily handled, especially hand-holding and tracking subjects with larger lenses.

I'll be 65 in April and what I've noticed in the last few years is that loss of muscle is part of aging. I regularly walk and hike to try to stay in shape and a little weight training a few days a week. I have noticed I don't carry my 500mm f4 as much as I used too unless I have a mono-pod. I'm also dealing with a Parkinson's diagnosis a few years ago and that's not helping. It mostly affects balance so I'm a little more aware of places I go when hiking. I've also started working out on a boxing speed bag and it is wonderful with shoulder and arm strengthening.

I've been doing CrossFit since 2011 and love it. Yeah - understand it's not for everyone, but coming from a military background, the comradery, being time-boxed, coach-led, and the variety has been key to keeping me healthy and in shape since retiring from the Army.

Like any other business....I'm sure the coaching, clientele, and programming varies greatly. Local CrossFit gyms here now offer a variety of programming to meet various ages and skill-levels.

I definitely believe CrossFit has provided me the strength and conditioning to handle any and all my photo challenges here locally.....granted, nothing terribly taxing, but the kneeling, squatting, and other odd positions I put my body are easily handled, especially hand-holding and tracking subjects with larger lenses.

Same experience. For reasons not relevant here, I don’t do CrossFit anymore, but getting physically stronger and in better cardiovascular shape absolutely help.

Nowadays, I do body weight and barbell exercises at home and ride a Peloton for cardio.

Well, As a septuagenarian (77) with two artificial hips from osteoarthritis surgeries 20 years ago, it's a struggle to maintain any strength and cardiovascular conditioning. But I do what I can. 2018 was tough due to a torn rotator cuff. I could not even hold a small camera up to my eye. That took almost a year from which to recover. I do light weight training exercises at a local Snap 24/7 Fitness two or three times a week. Go on brisk walks up and down hill over three miles which is great cardio workout due to where I live is almost 6,000 feet in elevation - air's.a little thin. Now if only I just ate a little less and maybe a bit less wine .... but .... oh well !!!

One issue that is a real a challenge is that, after the hip replacements my balance took a real hit, especially when walking on uneven ground. For example getting out of a Zodiac while on a photo tour in Canada onto a rocky beach or navigating slippery ground with photo backpack. Kind of embarrassing stumbling around. So, I found the best thing for me is repetitive balance exercise using a pair of air-filled balance disks (see attached- looks like under-inflated basketballs). I get on them - one under each foot - carrying a couple of 8 or 10 pound weights and simulate walking on rocky terrain and not falling. It helps my balance but most of all my confidence. True confession time: bottom line ... for many years I was mostly sedentary and I am trying to catch up in any way that I can.

Attachments

• 20240814_81ZzJsbMJCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    20240814_81ZzJsbMJCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I think as you age it is important to stay up with conditioning.

I am in the middle of my seventh decade and I find that some concentrated weight training really helps.

My physical therapist has given me a series of exercises that seem to help. They emphasize straightening the posture and strengthening the upper back muscles that hold the back upright.

I am tall and tall people tend to slouch because we always are ducking to avoid low clearance points and we have to look down to see people around us.

I think as we age we need to work on maintaining muscle mass in order to stay fully active.

I love this stuff and I want to stay active as long as I can.

You have to exercise your mind and body.

74 yr old here and go to the gym 3-4 days a week. Use mostly the machines and usually get out in about an hour then go to the park. I usually hit the gym by 5am then get to the park which is 10-15min from the gym by sunrise or around then. Lots of shoulder and arm exercises to help with handholding my stuff and leg exercises to help hold me up!! 🤣 So far so good, no issues with hand holding my Z9 + 400TC or any other lens I have.

I have a bad back, stenosis and arthritis but have a great chiropractor now who has helped me a lot over the last year. With going to him and the gym it's made a big difference for me!! Go for it!!

Back