Hawk Feeding Young

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Mreen

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I like capturing moments that happen with wildlife. This is a hawk feeding one of the little guys in her nest. I have some more images take a little while later when she flew out of the nest with a large dead rat and there are some "innards" showing. The images are a bit graphic so I wonder if it is inappropriate to post them. I think it was a great experience to see her arrive with the rat, feed the young ones and then clean out the nest by taking the remains away. I enjoyed seeing something happen, but perhaps I should keep it to myself. What does everyone think?
MorningSnack.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

That's life and death in the natural world. Personally I don't have a problem with showing blood and guts; some of the most interesting camera trap photos and videos I've ever gotten were from cameras at carcasses (bear, deer and raccoon). Virtually all birds are predators, at least when raising young, and the most interesting mammals are predators. The old Disney "nature" movies didn't include gory scenes and therefore didn't present a realistic portrayal of reality.

How much post processing has been done on this image?

As for your question: If you shoot wildlife subjects you will eventually see some gruesome parts of nature. If you decide not to show it, you are not accurately portraying the story being presented to you. If you are not a story teller, then leave stuff out of what you deem acceptable. Your photos are your decisions.

No critique at this time. :)

Not much post processing. I hit the auto button in ACR and added a vignette. Thank you for the feedback. I’ll get one with the rat posted to the wildlife forum in the next day or so.

As a hunter, I have seen some unpleasant things in the wild, many of them caused by man. The man caused disasters I do not photograph unless I will be sending the images to Fish and Game. I will turn in poachers at every opportunity.

Wild caused things are part of nature and I may not share things I consider just gruesome, but I am very likely to consider most things done by animals sharable. As dwiller states, this is a decision for you to make with your photos.

Back