Head on Great Grey

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

NorthernFocus

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This great grey flew from one tree to another just by where I was positioned. For a few frames it was flying straight at the camera. The bright spots in the BG are patches of evening sunlight coming through the trees. The bird was totally in shade. In post I corrected WB for the bird and let the BG fall where it may which resulted in the BG looking like fall colors. So I left it that way.

_NZ97596_DxO.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Stick it in a magazine. That bird is 3D.

I always enjoy that your photos are never over-baked, very balanced processing, but still crisp and dynamic.
Thanks for the kind words.

Absolutely beautiful -- ya done good, real good. (y)
Thanks, Woody.

Nothing to critique here except:
Why are the BG trees crooked? Maybe try straightening the image?
Not a bird photographer? Trees don't necessarily grow plumb. Particularly in a situation like this when growing on the edge of a field where they tend to lean toward the light and therefore the open space. On the other hand most birds and particularly raptors keep their heads level when they fly. Even when they bank in a turn their heads stay level. That said I did consider turning the image to plumb the trees with the viewer in mind. But for purposes of posting in a forum heavily bird oriented it seemed best to level it properly.

BEAUTIFUL!
Thanks, Karen.

Beautiful image Dan.
Thanks so much, Bill.

This great grey flew from one tree to another just by where I was positioned. For a few frames it was flying straight at the camera. The bright spots in the BG are patches of evening sunlight coming through the trees. The bird was totally in shade. In post I corrected WB for the bird and let the BG fall where it may which resulted in the BG looking like fall colors. So I left it that way.

View attachment 56015
Awesome shot Dan! Hopefully some day I’ll get a chance to see one of these guys in the wild. 👍👍👍👍

Back