Heavy Nikon lens/Pro body strap recommendations…

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ecycled

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Did a bit of searching on this blog before posting this but didn’t find much in the way of a definitive answer so here goes.

Being still content with Nikon F-mount lenses and DSLR bodies, I’ve in the past year + acquired both a very lightly used D850 and D6 body to go with the selection of F-mount lenses that I already had acquired through the years. Both have many years of life so my questions about straps will pertain to those particular bodies.

Up until just recently my largest lens (weight-wise) was/is the Nikon 70-200 2.8E FL ED VR. I’ve been very comfortable using Peak Design’s Slide strap with one strap attached to their standard plate screwed into the threaded tripod socket and the other attached to the camera body’s strap mount. I’m using their newest V4 anchors. All good.

I just purchased a very good condition Nikon 300mm 2.8G ED VRII lens but I’m very hesitant to use my previous method to attached a strap system to this camera and lens combo. Biggest concern is could this damage the lens mount? If using a tripod I’m not as concerned about straps BUT I do a fair bit of hand held shooting at dog shows and other events, etc so a strap is a nice thing for me to have.

Question I have is what other forum members/users of similar heavy set ups (F or Z-mount) have used. My initial thoughts were to mount one end of my Peak Design Slide strap to the camera body (strap mount or plate attached to tripod socket) and the other end to the lens foot (using a Peak Design plate). That I’ve played with a bit and it seems ok but will that possibly stress my lens mount? Are there better options (maybe both ends of strap to lens foot?)

Welcome feedback. Biggest concern isn’t strap system per se (happy with Peak Design) but safety of lens/camera and not causing damage to lens mount.

Cheers!

Edward
Colorado

Did a bit of searching on this blog before posting this but didn’t find much in the way of a definitive answer so here goes.

Being still content with Nikon F-mount lenses and DSLR bodies, I’ve in the past year + acquired both a very lightly used D850 and D6 body to go with the selection of F-mount lenses that I already had acquired through the years. Both have many years of life so my questions about straps will pertain to those particular bodies.

Up until just recently my largest lens (weight-wise) was/is the Nikon 70-200 2.8E FL ED VR. I’ve been very comfortable using Peak Design’s Slide strap with one strap attached to their standard plate screwed into the threaded tripod socket and the other attached to the camera body’s strap mount. I’m using their newest V4 anchors. All good.

I just purchased a very good condition Nikon 300mm 2.8G ED VRII lens but I’m very hesitant to use my previous method to attached a strap system to this camera and lens combo. Biggest concern is could this damage the lens mount? If using a tripod I’m not as concerned about straps BUT I do a fair bit of hand held shooting at dog shows and other events, etc so a strap is a nice thing for me to have.

Question I have is what other forum members/users of similar heavy set ups (F or Z-mount) have used. My initial thoughts were to mount one end of my Peak Design Slide strap to the camera body (strap mount or plate attached to tripod socket) and the other end to the lens foot (using a Peak Design plate). That I’ve played with a bit and it seems ok but will that possibly stress my lens mount? Are there better options (maybe both ends of strap to lens foot?)

Welcome feedback. Biggest concern isn’t strap system per se (happy with Peak Design) but safety of lens/camera and not causing damage to lens mount.

Cheers!

Edward
Colorado
I carry all of my TP lenses via attachment to a foot or alternatively to the lens mount tabs. My preferred method is using a QD connector to an aftermarket foot though there are plenty of alternatives including your PD connectors.

For my telephoto lenses with Z8 I use a Black Rapid Sport with QD connector and attach to either a Kirk or Hejnar lens foot with QD

Safety wise Black Rapid sell a safety tether and another option that Patrick (I think) posted on here which I use is an Op/Tech 1301422Uniloop XL connector.
One part attached to the foot (on a long lens) or on the side of the L bracket and the other to the push button swivel. This can quickly be snapped apart when you want to detach the combo from the QD strap.

Question I have is what other forum members/users of similar heavy set ups (F or Z-mount) have used. My initial thoughts were to mount one end of my Peak Design Slide strap to the camera body (strap mount or plate attached to tripod socket) and the other end to the lens foot (using a Peak Design plate). That I’ve played with a bit and it seems ok but will that possibly stress my lens mount?
Yes, as others have posted you're better off attaching a strap ONLY to the lens foot. If your strap spans both the lens foot and the camera body you apply quite a bit more torque to the lens mount. Basically think of it as attaching a rope to either end of a long heavy but flexible branch, the branch will sag in the middle and in the case of a lens and camera body that area where the spanned weight wants to sag is the lens mount.

Some folks attach a loose safety cord to their camera body in case the lens detaches so the camera doesn't fall (I personally don't do that) but if you run long lenses with their own lens foot then attach any strap there or for lenses with built in strap rings (your 300mm f/2.8 might have those) you can attach directly to the strap points as many sports photographers prefer.

FWIW, I've shot with heavy Nikon pro bodies including the Z9, D6, D5, D4, etc. and I've never had lens mount problems created by suspending a lens from the lens foot and allowing the heavy pro body to be supported off the lens mount. It's a bigger problem the other way around (hanging the camera from a strap and letting big heavy lens dangle off the lens mount) because it's not just weight but overall torque on the lens mount so weight distributed across a distance is a bigger problem than the heavy camera alone.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice. The torque issue seems so obvious in hindsight and honestly I wasn’t too keen on that setup regardless. But have gone directly to the RRS lens foot with both ends of my Peak Design Slide strap. Used Peak Design’s standard plate on the lens foot which gives me suitable connection points. Also added an unused Black Rapid safety cord between the closed loop of one end of Slide strap and the lens body (which does have a small strap ring) just in case. That may go away after I feel a bit more at ease with the setup. All good! Thank you.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice. The torque issue seems so obvious in hindsight and honestly I wasn’t too keen on that setup regardless. But have gone directly to the RRS lens foot with both ends of my Peak Design Slide strap. Used Peak Design’s standard plate on the lens foot which gives me suitable connection points. Also added an unused Black Rapid safety cord between the closed loop of one end of Slide strap and the lens body (which does have a small strap ring) just in case. That may go away after I feel a bit more at ease with the setup. All good! Thank you.
I use a safety strap from the closed loop on the BlackRapid but to the lens strap mounting (main fixing is on the lens foot), sudden jerk as would be the case if the safety strap was needed would be very likely to damage the mount, going to two different points on the lens (200-400/4 or 300/2.8), seems best IMHO, esp when there are multiple independent strong points on the lens.

Cheers!

Edward
Colorado
ALWAYS attach the strap to the lens mount. For added safety, you can attach a secondary strap to the camera body itself. I also use PD straps, with QD swivels attached. You may need to buy a plate with the QD sockets if your lens foot doesn’t have one.

1702914325771.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This is my setup - a slightly modded Blackrapid (actually a polish brand Reporter - very similar to blackrapid) strap. I did not like BR QR and their extra redundant thether.
367481825_1041017637252710_8678670248465841542_n.jpg
367438394_1041017627252711_2778536089465511615_n.jpg

I agree with Dave's answer above. On my 300 GII, I've used an Op/Tech sling strap for over 10 years with its uni-loop connectors attached to the lens strap lugs that are on each side of the tripod mount on the lens collar ring. The lens weighs 7 lbs (not the 6.4 lbs in the Nikon specs) with its hood and the old-style RRS LCS-14 foot without a QD fitting; there's no way I'd put that much stress on any DSLR or mirrorless lens mount. If I had a newer foot with the QD socket, I'd still use a secondary anchor on one of the lens strap lugs.

Glen

I do the same as @Wrogu for my (heavy) 120-300 lens… I have two separate connectors on a single OpTech uniloop. One ends in a QD connector which I attach to the Kirk foot; the other is a buckle connector, fixed to a strap lug on the lens barrel itself. In contrast to straps which terminate at each end, the failure of one of the OpTech connectors (e.g., the QD wasn’t completely pushed in) is backed up by the other, and the main loop doesn’t just unwind off your neck or shoulder.

I have a Arca Swiss Compatible lens plate attached to the foot. The plate I use has a mounting ring that folds up when on the tripod. Here it is:

I've been using this set up for a couple years now. The lens plate is well made and the shear force resistance on the steel pin that holds the ring in is many times greater than the heaviest lens/camera combination.

For the strap, I use a black rapid strap.

With all that said, one's ability to carry heavy lenses (i.e. 600f4, 500 F4 etc) and heavy body (D1, Z9, etc) for any significant distance is 100% dependent upon the person's physical condition, stamina and upper body strength. If I'm hiking to a destination and will be setting up there, I carry my heavier gear in a backpack with a waist belt to transfer the weight to my lower body instead of supporting all of it on my shoulders. If I'm just meandering through the woods and fields, I carry the camera and lens on the above mentioned fusion / black rapid setup.

Oh and I do have a safety tether attached to the buckle part of the BR strap (not the carabiner but the buckle that holds the carabiner part) and the other end to the camera body lungs. I keep enough slack in the tether that it isn't creating any stress on the camera body. If the carabiner part of the strap breaks (which is, I believe the attachment to the strap is the weak point of the BR system) at least the safety tether will keep the whole mess from smashing into the ground. Probably not good for the camera lug but that would most likely be an easier repair than having the system hit the ground from waist high.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words (or in my long winded description, 10,000 words). Here is my setup. First photo is the BR strap, Fusion Plate and safety tether. Second is my belt with 2 lens cases, a carry all pouch for cell phone, extra batteries, micro fiber cloth etc.) as well as a peak design capture clip and belt pad for carrying the camera when tele not attached or a spare body.
IMG_4445.jpeg
IMG_4416.jpeg

I use the Kirk Magpul strap worn cross chest. For the short lenses I attach it to the QD mount on the RRS L plates. For the 500 pf it attaches to an after-market plate on the lens foot. It's a single point attachment in either case but no issues so far. I've fitted the straps with pads that fold over the straps (Amazon has a selection) and it's quite comfortable.

I have been using the Cotton Carrier systems for years. https://www.cottoncarrier.com/
Weight is transferred to the weight to the shoulders and leaves both hands free to get to where you want to go. Cotton has a single strap sling systems as well. They can be purchased on Amazon. This shoot taken last month in Antarctica.

Attachments

• IMG_8262(1).jpg
    IMG_8262(1).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 97
I would never trust a very expensive camera and lens to a quick release connection. Even if my insurance covered the cost to replace them I could find myself without their use for a month or more.

The Kirk SS-1 Security Strap sold by BH Photo uses a Arca-Swiss clamp to hold the lens food with 100% security. They now cost $100 but it is cheap insurance for my equipment.
The shoulder pad carries the weight and with the strap length adjusted so it goes over my head and across my body at waist height it is easy to walk along outdoors and keep the camera and lens from swinging around.

I started using this strap with a 14 lb 600mm f/4 plus full size DSLR load and have continued to use it with my 800mm PF and Z9. No need for any special bracket as I use an Arca-Swiss foot or plate on all my lenses and cameras.

Thanks to all for their solutions.

I can speak from experience that a mount can be bent. I bought a used 500mm pf that may have been carried as the original poster described, one point on the camera and the other on the lens foot. Indeed, I had been doing the same thing with my 300mm pf and my tamron 150-600 g2.

In 2 months, I had to send my 500mm into Nikon for a complete service and to fix a bent mount. The mount added a little over $100 to the service cost of $300 and added 2 weeks to the service time. I think the damage came from the original owner and me.

I plan to send my d500 in for service and to check on the mount when I get a 2nd body. But the issue is much better since getting the fixed lens back.

I now hook my hegner foot into my backpack belt for hiking and only use my slide strap for safety. But I'm going to implement one of the setups I've seen here soon.

Just wanted to thank everyone again who has posted on this topic. Big help for me in addressing my original question as well as will be a good source of ideas for anyone else as they adventure into big glass.

Maybe too late, but after trying different schemes, I use the the Money Maker. There are single and double (and triple!) carry versions. They are made of leather.

I attach them to QD's on the foot of my Z70-200 and the tripod bracket on my Z9.

The leather conforms over time, and the cameras attachment strap slides up and down so one can reach low or high without extra strap getting in the way...Similar to the Black Rapid.

I am familiar with the snap shackles which Hold Fast uses from sailing, and trust them without safety straps, but that's just me. I obsessively check that everything is in order.

Commonly reported failure points are: The screws into the foot or body; The QD's,; The detachable foot or tripod bracket; The shackle and the strap itself. So far I've been good.

Last edited:
I use a a Black Rapid sport connected via QD to a RRS B2-FABN-Micro Arca Swiss clamp. When I'm carrying the 600f4, 200-600 or 100-400 I clamp to the lens foot. When I'm carrying something smaller I clamp to the camera's L-bracket.

If you are connecting the RRS mini clamp via QD why don’t you simply connect directly to the lens foot or camera bracket via QD? Perhaps I am misunderstanding something?

I would never trust a very expensive camera and lens to a quick release connection. Even if my insurance covered the cost to replace them I could find myself without their use for a month or more.

The Kirk SS-1 Security Strap sold by BH Photo uses a Arca-Swiss clamp to hold the lens food with 100% security. They now cost $100 but it is cheap insurance for my equipment.
The shoulder pad carries the weight and with the strap length adjusted so it goes over my head and across my body at waist height it is easy to walk along outdoors and keep the camera and lens from swinging around.

I started using this strap with a 14 lb 600mm f/4 plus full size DSLR load and have continued to use it with my 800mm PF and Z9. No need for any special bracket as I use an Arca-Swiss foot or plate on all my lenses and cameras.
Hi All,

Look at their website to see how the attachments work; you may change your mind. I'm in my 70th year. I desire safety, not rescue, where two hands are needed to get where I want to take some shots. I have used their original their vest for 20+ years. The new mounting system is better, more robust, solid, and locks in place. It is easy to attach, left or right, to lift your camera in or out. Once in, it cannot bounce out. Over the years, I have used this system on my D1, D2xs, D3s, D850, D750 and now D8Z, with various sizes of lenses. The only damage I have sustained was breaking my 7-200mm when I didn't have two free hands. These systems are also available in sling and belt carriers. Just to be clear, I bought my own. I have no commercial interest in this company or product and received no compensation whatsoever.

Cheers!

Edward
Colorado
I use a Peak Design strap connected to a QD release connected to my lens foot. Works great.

Back