Hejnar Plate for Nikon 180-600; comments

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

NorthernFocus

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Just thought I'd post a comment about the Hejnar plate that I ordered for the 180-600. The plate is made with two pins/posts machined into it that fit the holes on the bottom of the Nikon foot. Fit alignment of the pins is perfect and when you tighten the allen head mounting bolt it snugs down rock solid and perfectly aligned. No muss no fuss. The QD socket on bottom of the plate is positioned such that with a Z9 on the lens the rig balances perfectly when hung from a strap.

This is the third Hejnar product I've bought. They've all been well designed and manufactured products and shipped next day after placing my order. He's got a customer for life.

Thanks for the review, Dan! I bought the same plate and I'm equally impressed. I've ordered other products of theirs, and I wouldn't hesitate to order from them in the future.

One thing I find interesting - some on here have commented on hanging that much weight off of a single 1/4-20 screw. Yet it's common practice to hoist a tripod with a gimbal and a 600mm with a pro body and sling it over your shoulder. And that attachment is a single 3/8-16 bolt.

But I digress, I think the single 1/4-20 on the Hejnar plate is plenty robust for this lens, even on a Z9.

Thanks for the review, Dan! I bought the same plate and I'm equally impressed. I've ordered other products of theirs, and I wouldn't hesitate to order from them in the future.

One thing I find interesting - some on here have commented on hanging that much weight off of a single 1/4-20 screw. Yet it's common practice to hoist a tripod with a gimbal and a 600mm with a pro body and sling it over your shoulder. And that attachment is a single 3/8-16 bolt.

But I digress, I think the single 1/4-20 on the Hejnar plate is plenty robust for this lens, even on a Z9.
I don't know. People may have a point. I think a 1/4-20 screw is only rated for 1750 lb or so. That's cutting it kind of close. But hey, I like to live on the edge so it's perfect for me.

I started replacing the lens feet/collars on my Nikon lenses with a mix of Really Right Stuff and Kirk. Both quality companies who supply quality components. But then I discovered Hejnar. Equal quality in my opinion but at a more reasonable cost.

Just received mine and like all things I have purchased from Chris, it is simply perfect. Well designed, fits flawlessly (no torque or movement whatsoever apart from the wimpy collar itself), and the QD is perfect.

IMG_7277.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
IMG_7276.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Hejnar plate works great. I bought it for a 3 week trip to Botswana before replacement feet/collars were available. Performed flawlessly—so much so that I doubt I will buy something different. I generally prefer the Hejnar replacement feet but since I don’t think he plans to make one for the 180-600 I’ll just stick with the plate.

Update to an old thread now that the 180-600 are available again. Hejnar now offers the plate with two QD sockets. Perfect if you run a safety backup strap as I do. Two quick snapins side by side and you're ready to go.

That's awesome as I've been looping some high tensile strength paracord loops around the base of the collar as a backup. Wish he would retrofit or replace for those of us who purchased the previous version.

It's an additional product. The single plate is still available. I usually go primary to the lens and safety to L bracket on the body. It works but obviously would shock load the lens mount if a failure. For $4 mote this plate keeps it close to the center and puts loaded on the lens foot.

Got the lens today and plate is suppose to arrive tomorrow. Guess I'll see how it works out!

Back