Help using SB 700 on Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I shoot manual mode in flash mode I don't use auto ISO. When I put my SB 700 flash set to TTL on my Z8 the viewfinder and back screen look the same as without the flash, they don't get any brighter. The only thing that brightens the viewfinder & back screen is changing the ISO, shutter speed, aperture which I shouldn't have to do. With the viewfinder dark and I fire a shot the flash works and the photo is illuminated. Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Thanks!

~Kevin

Yup, what you see through the viewfinder even with Show Effects of Settings is the ambient exposure. The camera doesn't try to estimate what the flash in manual or iTTL mode would do in terms of illuminating the scene, it just shows you how the exposure for ambient light will look. When shooting Fill Flash or Key Flash situations where the ambient exposure is part of the final image that's very handy. When shooting scenes that are fully flash illuminated you typically have to take a test shot or two to see if everything is set up the way you want as the ambient exposure will generally be several stops or more below the level of flash lighting if you don't want ambient light to influence the final image.

You can set up your SB-700 to use flash Modeling to get an idea of how things will look prior to the final exposure but realistically I only do that when working with multi-flash setups and in a controlled environment where it's helpful to get multi-flash setups balanced for the right kind of directional and fill light. Even then you're still basically firing the flash in the modeling mode before you see the effects of using the flash.

Yup, what you see through the viewfinder even with Show Effects of Settings is the ambient exposure. The camera doesn't try to estimate what the flash in manual or iTTL mode would do in terms of illuminating the scene, it just shows you how the exposure for ambient light will look. When shooting Fill Flash or Key Flash situations where the ambient exposure is part of the final image that's very handy. When shooting scenes that are fully flash illuminated you typically have to take a test shot or two to see if everything is set up the way you want as the ambient exposure will generally be several stops or more below the level of flash lighting if you don't want ambient light to influence the final image.

You can set up your SB-700 to use flash Modeling to get an idea of how things will look prior to the final exposure but realistically I only do that when working with multi-flash setups and in a controlled environment where it's helpful to get multi-flash setups balanced for the right kind of directional and fill light. Even then you're still basically firing the flash in the modeling mode before you see the effects of using the flash.

Thank you for the info, I'll look into it.

~Kevin

On the Z9 - in setting d10 - show effect of settings - ONLY WHEN FLASH IS NOT USED - There should be a similar setting on the Z8. The ONLY WHEN FLASH IS NOT USED will show the results of settings except when the flash is used. This prevents the black viewfinder when using flash.

I hope this helps, Bill

On the Z9 - in setting d10 - show effect of settings - ONLY WHEN FLASH IS NOT USED - There should be a similar setting on the Z8. The ONLY WHEN FLASH IS NOT USED will show the results of settings except when the flash is used. This prevents the black viewfinder when using flash.

I hope this helps, Bill
It’s not the exact same menu but thank you Bill for pointing me in that direction. There are settings for me to investigate in that part of the menu that will probably provide me with the answer.

~Kevin

Back