hide setup

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Danforth

Supporting Member
Marketplace
i am looking for any suggestions on setting up my new blind. i have river,forest,and a quarry with forest around it. the quarry is home to bobcats,and that's my problem.has any body out there done this sort of thing before. I've hunted for many years, but this isn't that.one other thing. i have three trail cams set up around the quarry, so i have (kind of) an idea of their movements.they certainly change things up often.

Last edited:
i am looking for any suggestions on setting up my new blind. i have river,forest,and a quarry with forest around it. the quarry is home to bobcats,and that's my problem.has any body out there done this sort of thing before. I've hunted for many years, but this isn't that.one other thing. i have three trail cams set up around the quarry, so i have (kind of) an idea of their movements.they certainly change things up often.
I hate to answer your question like a lawyer, but it all depends. What are you hoping to photograph? If bobcats, then I’d set it up along a watering spot or game trail. If birds, then you might try near a favorite food source. Whatever the case, set your blind up a day or two ahead of time and leave it, so the animals get used to its presence. Then, when you’re ready for your shoot, enter the blind well before you expect the animals to be active, say just before dawn, and quietly wait. Try to minimize any inside movement or noise, and exercise extreme patience. It’s easy to spend many hours in a blind without seeing much of anything, so be prepared. Not to get too graphic, but depending on how long I’ll be in a blind, I’ll sometimes wear Depends so that I don’t have to worry about exiting the blind whenever nature calls (OK, maybe too much information 🥴). While animals generally are aware of your presence anyway, use of a blind provides a static visual presence and masks movement, which keeps them calmer than they would otherwise be.

For example, I’ve used this technique when photographing kingfishers - a notoriously jittery bird. I’ll watch the birds through binoculars to identify their favorite feeding perches, set up my blind nearby, leave it for a day or two to allow them to get acclimated to its presence, then enter the blind before dawn to set up for the shoot. There’s no doubt in my mind that they know I’m there, but generally they seem comfortable if I remain calm and quiet.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck! Don't get discouraged if you don’t get results right away. Using blinds effectively is a bit of an experiment - you may need to try out several spots before you’re satisfied.

Thanks for the response. I’ll change out the cards and scout a little this week,maybe set it up Thursday.haven’t had any snow for quite awhile so no help there.they tend to hunt an area for about a week then rotate to another area.its a crap shoot,hopefully the trail cams will help.

Back