High Key Wildlife

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

fotogrob

Coincidentally, I was working on a few high key photographs at the same time Steve discussed the subject online. I submitted a few to my local club's camera competition. The judges were less than enthusiastic. They didn't get it. I didn't care.
Eagle Syosset CC-8704_Score 8.5.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Can you please explain what you think is “ high key” about your image? The image you are showing is not one that I personally would term high key. Thanks.

Can you please explain what you think is “ high key” about your image? The image you are showing is not one that I personally would term high key. Thanks.
It's my understanding along with Steve's video that a high key image is nearly blown out withe the background completely blown out. How does that differ from your opinion?

It's my understanding along with Steve's video that a high key image is nearly blown out withe the background completely blown out. How does that differ from your opinion?
But from what I see your eagle is not high key, only the background has lost tone. If I were home I could post a high key image but I’m out shooting this week in Utah and then Yellowstone. If your eagle was processed differently than the image could be high key perhaps but right now the image seems to be more in the mid tone range. I did not read what Steve said but I am a fan of high key images. Try working with image to create a more high key subject. Not all subjects will work out.

I'd say your image is more in the high contrast category. To me high key is when most tones are middle and above. Not that the label matters that much. I would personally seek more detail in the dark areas.

_CAS1057.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
HI fotogrob...this image is more along my idea of what a high key image is. Just got this today in Utah and it looked like it would convert to high key very well. High key images come from the fashion world...think white on white and only lines showing for the highest high-key but there are variations along the way depending on the image. High key creates a soft look and soft tones, but of course this is only my viewpoint on the subject.

I think it is a good pose though. I'm thinking you could use a masking tool for example in Lightroom to see if there is some detail to be recovered in the shadows.

View attachment 39964HI fotogrob...this image is more along my idea of what a high key image is. Just got this today in Utah and it looked like it would convert to high key very well. High key images come from the fashion world...think white on white and only lines showing for the highest high-key but there are variations along the way depending on the image. High key creates a soft look and soft tones, but of course this is only my viewpoint on the subject.
How to do consider this high key? If I look at Steve's High Key post photos yours looks dim with low detail?

How to do consider this high key? If I look at Steve's High Key post photos yours looks dim with low detail?
Morgan, as I said in my earlier post I did not read what Steve wrote and that what I said was my opinion. The high key look can vary in tone from light mid tones to white on white. Each of us has to choose the look we like as individuals. There is no one exact way. I have various images that are either shot or processed as high key and the histogram reflects that in each image. A high key image histogram will have the majority of image tones far mid-center to left and how much detail is on the image is a creative choice. If what Steve has done appeals to you then study his work and follow what he says until you find your own niche in high key work.

Last edited:

So the usual definition of 'key' is that the tones that dominate aren't full range. Low key would be a dark background with subjects ranging mainly from middle down to black while high key would be a light background and subject tones ranging from middle up to bright.

High contrast would have strong separation of tones, while low contrast would have most tones bunched up.

So I think it is possible to have high key/high contrast if a few dark tones make a big impact in an otherwise high key image but usually you see high key low contrast.

Back