Hood Rant

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DougC

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Has anyone discovered the secret to installing and removing the hoods on Z mount lenses yet? I have 3 of them and it’s beyond frustrating to put them on and off without darn near breaking them. Just got the 100-400 and removing it while in the reverse position I truly felt I was going to have to break it to get it off. I have found that brute force definitely does not work as occasionally I will barely put any pressure on it and it magically slips off while other times it seems to be glued in place. Suggestions? Thanks!

Has anyone discovered the secret to installing and removing the hoods on Z mount lenses yet? I have 3 of them and it’s beyond frustrating to put them on and off without darn near breaking them. Just got the 100-400 and removing it while in the reverse position I truly felt I was going to have to break it to get it off. I have found that brute force definitely does not work as occasionally I will barely put any pressure on it and it magically slips off while other times it seems to be glued in place. Suggestions? Thanks!
Holding it by the base (lowest part) works wonders for me.

Thanks, this helps in removing it from the normal position but it still takes 2 hands and a lot of effort when removing it from the reversed position. I guess I just won’t lock it down.

Just a bit pricey though. Also not available for the 100-400.
Actually there are three Zemlin hoods for the Z 100-400 mm lens. I have the long one. Very protective in rain and snow. Better than the shorter petal hood Nikon makes for the lens in my experience. Like Karen, I like Zemlin hoods and caps and use them with several other lenses.

Not trying sell Zemlin hoods, but here is a link to the 3 for the Z 100-400.

Actually there are three Zemlin hoods for the Z 100-400 mm lens. I have the long one. Very protective in rain and snow. Better than the shorter petal hood Nikon makes for the lens in my experience. Like Karen, I like Zemlin hoods and caps and use them with several other lenses.

Yes - but they are out of stock. I think that is what he meant.

I had a particularly sticky hood on a 100-400 but as you say, only when reversed. At first it seemed like I wouldn't be able to remove it. It sounds simple but I simply twisted it on and off repeatedly for about 20-30 times and the thing freed up. It now pops on and off with ease. Same was true of a 400 4.5 I had. I think they sometimes just need to wear in a bit first. Cheaper than replacing the hood if it works for you.

I had a particularly sticky hood on a 100-400 but as you say, only when reversed. At first it seemed like I wouldn't be able to remove it. It sounds simple but I simply twisted it on and off repeatedly for about 20-30 times and the thing freed up. It now pops on and off with ease. Same was true of a 400 4.5 I had. I think they sometimes just need to wear in a bit first. Cheaper than replacing the hood if it works for you.
Welcome to BCG!!!!

Funny, I went to the site and it didn’t show up. I’ll look again. $130.00 is a bit rich for my blood, guess I’ll make do with the original for now. Thanks.

Thanks, I’ll give it a try.

Thanks, this helps in removing it from the normal position but it still takes 2 hands and a lot of effort when removing it from the reversed position. I guess I just won’t lock it down.
Several lenses and no issues. Removing it from shooting position I just use the same procedure as removing from reverse position. I put my thumb on the release mechanism, grip it around the base, and give it a twist. The only issue I ever have is getting it cross threaded when I'm in a hurry putting it on.

Funny, I went to the site and it didn’t show up. I’ll look again. $130.00 is a bit rich for my blood, guess I’ll make do with the original for now. Thanks.
Karl also stops taking orders for a week or two every now and then to catch up with his orders. He then reopens for new orders. I got Zemlin hoods for my 600 mm PF and 180-600 mm lenses this month. Ordered in December.

Karl also stops taking orders for a week or two every now and then to catch up with his orders. He then reopens for new orders. I got Zemlin hoods for my 600 mm PF and 180-600 mm lenses this month. Ordered in December.
I've stopped shutting down sales. The surge of orders after I opened back up actually caused more backup than just staying open, lol.
Also, I'm getting some help these days to try to stay caught up. Still takes me a bit to deliver orders, but working to reduce the backlog.
I appreciate all the support from BCG forum members!

I had this problem with the hood on my 500mm PF. i tried sanding the grooves with very fine sand paper, sort of like repeatedly putting on and off. What ultimately fixed the problem was a very small amount of silicone spray. Spray on tissue and then wipe on the grooves on the lens and the hood

Back