Hooded Warbler

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Had to clean him up a bit, but was trying to get a good pose and perch, and feel this was pretty good overall - thanks for any feedback.

Hooded Warbler, Z9, 600 f4 S, ISO 3200, 1/500.

z hooded warbler 1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Beautiful little thing. I cant comment on the yellow as I dont know the bird. I agree the crop is a tad tight - but depends what you are using the photo for.
There is a slight halo around the beak and black feathers on the head, and on the dark feathers on the tail crossing the branch. easily removed.

Nice pose, light, and sharp, but way I agree with BAL Land that there's too much green. Try dialing in a little more magenta. These birds are a pretty bright shade of yellow as I'm sure you know :)

Just making sure my comment is processed correctly. The bird’s back is supposed to be green, that looks fine. I’m only worried about the breast/stomach and face, those yelllw areas look too green. The back is fine.

The capture looks great - nice and sharp eye and feathers. I do agree with @BAL Land and others that it's a very tight crop - I would have liked more room on the left (even a bit more room for the tail would help me out). I don't know these birds at all, but my first thought was that it was too green - the legs just didn't look right to me.

The green "tint" is probably from the foliage all around him. I've faced similar situations photographing birds in Costa Rica. There are many ways to tweak the color. Either in LR/ACR LR or ACR, I use the Color Mixer/Saturation slider to reduce the tint...in this case the green slider. Or do something similar in PS with the Color saturation sliders (to adjust individual colors) in the Hue/Adjustment tool.

In this case, I would compare a global adjust....then mask if necessary.

Thanks for the replies - this was just a "I really love this bird and I have time at the hotel now" edit :). I think this one may be a little better? More room for the bird,
and any thoughts on the bugs he's about to devour? I like him actively hunting. The problem is the branches in many images; they get behind the head, or in the background, and these guys can be pretty tough. But a fun bird for sure.
z hooded warbler 4.jpg

The problem is the branches in many images; they get behind the head, or in the background, and these guys can be pretty tough.

Oh I know this pain.

And in terms of photos It's nice. I like the details. And I don't like "bird on the perch" in genaral so it means it even better. As I don't know about North American birds I can say if colors are right.

The second photo I love even more, shows a bit of enviroment.

Beautiful Bird! Nice find! I agree that the bird is a bit tight in the frame. Alot of my shots also have errant branches and background that can be a distraction. Here is a fast PS edit with color adjust, NR, and a quick removal of the upper right bright green. Best to do edits in RAW instead of a screen capture JPG!

2023-04-28_173050 edit side by side.jpg

Back