Horicon Marsh (WI) - any tips for first time visit?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Carmel Nikon

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'm planning to visit Horicon Marsh (in Wisconsin) sometime this spring. The marsh (a silted-up glacial lake) is 32,000 acres of mostly open water and cattail marsh, and is apparently home for many bird species, especially ducks, pelicans, great blue herons and Canadian geese, plus fish, frogs, snakes, turtles, muskrats, etc.

I'm thinking the spring migration may be a good time to go for wildlife photography. If you've been and would be willing to share your experience and any tips, I would be grateful.
Thank you!

The North side boardwalk is usually worth a quick check. You’ll find turtles, some waterfowl (especially in the morning before they rise), and some active barn swallows. Later in the driving tour there’s a pond that often has some birds. Bring a bean bag, cause you’ll be close enough to them that they could spook, so you should ideally shoot from your car or use it as a blind.

The road to Strooks Ditch often has some very close waterfowl. Head to the end, turn around, and shoot them from the car on the way back, ideally.

The Bud Cook area can have some song birds, but it’s more just a nice hike.

There’s a Federal visitor center on the East, and a State visitor center in the SE.

The SE visitor center has some nice open water, where you’re likely to find cranes and various waterfowl. The trails go back quite a way. I recommend starting on the berm and head straight back (northwest), then take a left. You can explore the trails deeper in, or loop back. I find most birds are in the nearest water, so the long walk is more of a ‘nice day’ stroll.

There’s a ton more, and I know some people are experienced visitors, so I’ll leave more for others to share. But you can see a lot even in a 3-hour stop to a few sites.

Also, hit the Culver’s for a milk shake on the way home. 😉

Great tips - thank you, Chris. We'll probably start at the SE visitor center. Appreciate the scoping and thoughts.

The Culver's shake is an especially good idea!

Have a nice trip! I suggest you read up from some other sources too if nobody else chimes in. I'm no expert on Horicon. I've seen some incredible photos from there, and I've never managed any such scenes, so I suspect I haven't found "the good spots".

The North side boardwalk is usually worth a quick check. You’ll find turtles, some waterfowl (especially in the morning before they rise), and some active barn swallows. Later in the driving tour there’s a pond that often has some birds. Bring a bean bag, cause you’ll be close enough to them that they could spook, so you should ideally shoot from your car or use it as a blind.

The road to Strooks Ditch often has some very close waterfowl. Head to the end, turn around, and shoot them from the car on the way back, ideally.

The Bud Cook area can have some song birds, but it’s more just a nice hike.

There’s a Federal visitor center on the East, and a State visitor center in the SE.

The SE visitor center has some nice open water, where you’re likely to find cranes and various waterfowl. The trails go back quite a way. I recommend starting on the berm and head straight back (northwest), then take a left. You can explore the trails deeper in, or loop back. I find most birds are in the nearest water, so the long walk is more of a ‘nice day’ stroll.

There’s a ton more, and I know some people are experienced visitors, so I’ll leave more for others to share. But you can see a lot even in a 3-hour stop to a few sites.

Also, hit the Culver’s for a milk shake on the way home. 😉
Agree. Look on Ledge Road on the east side which can also be productive with birds in the farm fields. The Auto Loop takes you to the Boardwalk and there are also a couple of places to stop along the way where you might see birds. There are whooping cranes and we have seen them near the boardwalk and on the east side roads. You may also see Northern Harriers from the boardwalk and, if timing is right, many swallows. Look in the water and on logs from the boardwalk for turtles and frogs. Last year there were a lot of egrets around too. The drive along Hwy49 on the north side can be good for ducks, geese, swans, coots, egrets, GBHs and the occassional pelican. I agree the State Visitor Center can also have many birds present. Long lenses a big help here.

Last edited:
SO many swallows on the boardwalk by the auto tour! I usually stop to work on my BIF skills. Spotting a swallow in flight and then tracking it with a 500PF+1.4 is no easy task (for me).

I have half a mind to post a sign by the end of the boardwalk that says “autofocus test zone.” 😀

Back