House Finch with a bit of an attitude

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
House Finch. An invasive species in Canada (and North Eastern US). Originally a resident of Western US and Mexico a small number were released in Long Island (someone had unsuccessfully tried to start selling them as caged birds) in 1940 and in about 50 years they had successfully established in much of southern Canada (and not so southern Canada given my location) and great swaths of the continental US.
Nikon D6; 300 pf w/ 1.4 tc, handheld.
house finch.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

House Finch. An invasive species in Canada (and North Eastern US). Originally a resident of Western US and Mexico a small number were released in Long Island (someone had unsuccessfully tried to start selling them as caged birds) in 1940 and in about 50 years they had successfully established in much of southern Canada (and not so southern Canada given my location) and great swaths of the continental US.
View attachment 28115
Excellent shot Steven! 👍👍👍Thanks for the history lesson. I wasn’t of that . We do have a very large population of them along the east coast.

And often great singers during the spring courtship. We frequently get an all-day song track outside of our bedroom window as it is near an area where they either nest or hang out during the day.

--Ken
Yes, I was going to add mention of the beautiful sound feature of these guys, as well. Nice way to wake up each spring day!

Last edited:
View attachment 28115
Great shot! And they are also prevalent in Southern middle Tennessee!

Yes, I was going to add mention of the beautiful sound feature of these guys, as well. Nice way to wake up each spring day!
I'll trade you singers. Mine started around 4:30am at first light and kept singing until past 9:00pm. He kept this up for days, I hope his mate was impressed because I certainly was. But I just wish he would have started an hour later when I was starting out my day. But, yes, they are great singers. Too bad ours has a bunch of crows and Steller's Jays for "managers". Thankfully they are not his backup.

--Ken

I'll trade you singers. Mine started around 4:30am at first light and kept singing until past 9:00pm. He kept this up for days, I hope his mate was impressed because I certainly was. But I just wish he would have started an hour later when I was starting out my day. But, yes, they are great singers. Too bad ours has a bunch of crows and Steller's Jays for "managers". Thankfully they are not his backup.

--Ken
Ah yes, forgot middle management undertakings by the Jays and Crows; here they're drowned out by the noise of the Magpies :)

Nice closeup. Our numbers are way down here in their native desert habitat. I am not sure if it is due to the outbreak of salmonellosis or the extreme heat and drought this summer.
I have been feeding them again and keeping the water fresh but not too many customers. I did have a goldfinch land on my head last week though. 😇
Thanks. How great to have the goldfinch drop in :) I fear for the numbers of birds, generally, here. We too had a spring, summer and fall of severe drought. It was quite noticeable, the lack of bird song and noise, when I was camping or mucking about with camera in the backcountry. One week in the mountains it was shocking to wake every morning in the tent and not hear any bird song, but the occasional jay or distant raven. And then there were the vast areas of dry wetland and thus lack of waterfowl....

Reactions: Hut
Thanks, Woody. I read an article on the battle of the two 'house' species often not leaving much room for anybody else at bird feeders :)
There was a recent article in the Washington Post about the "pecking order" of birds at the feeder and it had a very long list: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/11/28/bird-feeder-pecking-order/ . I am happy to say that while we do have our share of corvids (crows and Steller's Jays), most of our birds were near the back of the pack (juncos and chickadees).

--Ken

View attachment 28115
Very nice pic. They are really common around here in Northern Ca foothills. Roost on top any downspout that the nest will stay on. I am afraid ours are a little more badass though ... with finch dad and kids and a day at the water fountain !!!! Check out the Bee..hind on this guy.
DSC_4260.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Very nice pic. They are really common around here in Northern Ca foothills. Roost on top any downspout that the nest will stay on. I am afraid ours are a little more badass though ... with finch dad and kids and a day at the water fountain !!!! Check out the Bee..hind on this guy.
View attachment 28169
Thanks. I guess it wouldn't do for a finch to have a parrot on her shoulder, so the bee, instead? :D

Back