How can I tell what auto focus area mode I used with my Z9 for a picture already taken? Can it be found within my Z9 or in Lightrooom once imported?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently acquired a Nikon Z9 and working hard to get really familiar with the various auto area focus modes to understand their pros and cons as I prepare for my first safari in July. Of course, many thanks to Steve for his Z8/Z9 manual which has really explained these modes in easy to understand language. I am now taking what I have learned from Steve and putting it to practice. As I am constantly swtiching between modes as I practice on elk, deer, eagles etc. in the area it is difficult to remember what mode I was using for each picture other than what I have occasionally resorted to in taking a picture of a piece of paper with what mode i am then starting to use. I know .... very archaic and would be much easier to identify the mode on my Z9 or in Lightroom if it exists. As the Z9 seems more like a computer than a camera at times I just know info has to be available for each shot just not sure where to find it. Looked through the various menu options and not obvious...or I am just not paying close enough attention. Welcome any insights you have. Thx.

I don't think it easily displays in lightroom. It does easily display if you view the file in NX Studio. It is also stored in the EXIF data so if you use EXIFtool or something similar you can view it.

Nikon’s NX Studio software is free. You can set it to show your focus points on the on RAW images. I don’t know if it does this with jpg. It’s a bit slow, but gives you loads of exif info.

I don't think it easily displays in lightroom. It does easily display if you view the file in NX Studio. It is also stored in the EXIF data so if you use EXIFtool or something similar you can view it.
Thanks for the follow up. Not familiar with either NX Studio or EXIFtool. Will look into them, but not really a technical guy and was hoping for something within my normal shooting process and/or my Lightroom work flow that I could easily access while reviewing potentially 100 or more images at a time. Although, I am beginning to think I may need to go out of the box on this one.

Thanks for the follow up. Not familiar with either NX Studio or EXIFtool. Will look into them, but not really a technical guy and was hoping for something within my normal shooting process and/or my Lightroom work flow that I could easily access while reviewing potentially 100 or more images at a time. Although, I am beginning to think I may need to go out of the box on this one.
EXIFtool is a little more complex, but NX Studio is just Nikon's own version of lightroom. Fortunately it's not complicated or special, really... just the same thing as Lightroom for the most part except that it shows a lot more information than Lightroom does about each photo.

Nikon’s NX Studio software is free. You can set it to show your focus points on the on RAW images. I don’t know if it does this with jpg. It’s a bit slow, but gives you loads of exif info.
Thx. Sounds like I need to look into NX Studio. Although, to clarify, I am not looking for where the focus point is as I have the option of seeing this when I review the image on my camera. While that helps I really want to know if the image was shot using 3D-tracking, Auto Area Focus, Wide Area, etc. as I want to know if the subject detection for animal, etc. is working as expected or is it being distracted by branches, grass, etc. and as a result I end up with a picture that is not sharp. Hope that makes sense.

EXIFtool is a little more complex, but NX Studio is just Nikon's own version of lightroom. Fortunately it's not complicated or special, really... just the same thing as Lightroom for the most part except that it shows a lot more information than Lightroom does about each photo.
Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like I need to investigate NX Studio. Does it interact with LR in the way like Topaz AI does for instance, which allows my work flow to be totally integrated within LR or is it a completely stand alone option?

Recently acquired a Nikon Z9 and working hard to get really familiar with the various auto area focus modes to understand their pros and cons as I prepare for my first safari in July. Of course, many thanks to Steve for his Z8/Z9 manual which has really explained these modes in easy to understand language. I am now taking what I have learned from Steve and putting it to practice. As I am constantly swtiching between modes as I practice on elk, deer, eagles etc. in the area it is difficult to remember what mode I was using for each picture other than what I have occasionally resorted to in taking a picture of a piece of paper with what mode i am then starting to use. I know .... very archaic and would be much easier to identify the mode on my Z9 or in Lightroom if it exists. As the Z9 seems more like a computer than a camera at times I just know info has to be available for each shot just not sure where to find it. Looked through the various menu options and not obvious...or I am just not paying close enough attention. Welcome any insights you have. Thx.
Any Image Viewer application with full EXIF Tool capability will give all the EXIF data in the raw file, under the Makers Notes column as below: This includes the AF Area Mode.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 5.53.41 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-05 at 5.53.41 PM.png
    90.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like I need to investigate NX Studio. Does it interact with LR in the way like Topaz AI does for instance, which allows my work flow to be totally integrated within LR or is it a completely stand alone option?

No, it doesn't integrate like that. I rarely use NX studio for editing - I just keep it around for checking things like AF points when I need to.

I occasionally edit with it when the editing required is very minor and no denoising is required, because what NX studio does provide is the exact same processing as the camera and I find the colors and textures to be much, much better with Nikon's own processing in a way that I have never been able to perfectly duplicate in Lightroom. Still, if there is need for denoising or much editing beyond the basics, I prefer what I can get out of Lightroom.

Any Image Viewer application with full EXIF Tool capability will give all the EXIF data in the raw file, under the Makers Notes column as below: This includes the AF Area Mode.
Thx so much for the attachment. Definitely helps me understand the data that can be accessed, including the AF data. Awesome.

No, it doesn't integrate like that. I rarely use NX studio for editing - I just keep it around for checking things like AF points when I need to.

I occasionally edit with it when the editing required is very minor and no denoising is required, because what NX studio does provide is the exact same processing as the camera and I find the colors and textures to be much, much better with Nikon's own processing in a way that I have never been able to perfectly duplicate in Lightroom. Still, if there is need for denoising or much editing beyond the basics, I prefer what I can get out of Lightroom.
Thx so much for all your input. Looks like NX Studio is definitely the path to go👍

Thanks to everyone for your input! Will be exploring introducing NX Studio to my workflow. While I have been a fan of Steve and BCG for years, I am a newcomer to the Forum. Truly appreciate the prompt responses and support from the community. Thank you!

I answered thus earlier for you in another thread. Now I’ll lock this one to avoid needless repetition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back