how does a ML camera capture image for the EVF

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
In the shower this morning I was wondering how ML cameras capture images to show on the EVF and how the mechanical shutter works w the sensor and EVF.

How long does it take the sensor to capture the image to be shown on the EVF. At base ISO of 64 (exposure would be 1/64, ISO 64, F16) and EV would 14.5 (according to PhotoPills) Assuming the lens is F/2 then the shutter speed would be 1/4000. How fast can a camera read from the Sensor? why don't see rolling shutter effects when viewing through the EVF?

How does this work with a mechanical shutter. To capture the image for the EVF, the shutter must be open. To take a picture with the shutter needs to close, the sensor wiped clean (zero'd out) and then first and second curtain open to control exposure.

Is this correct? Doesn't this add cost to the camera vs having only an electronic shutter. Why did Nikon include a mechanical shutter in the Z 6iii?

All good questions. I know my R5 refreshes every 1/120 of a second, the r5ii faster, the R1 even faster. Maybe too fast for our eyes to see, since we can see "movies" at around 1/30. The z8 and z9 so fast there is no need for mechanical.

In the shower this morning I was wondering how ML cameras capture images to show on the EVF and how the mechanical shutter works w the sensor and EVF.

How long does it take the sensor to capture the image to be shown on the EVF. At base ISO of 64 (exposure would be 1/64, ISO 64, F16) and EV would 14.5 (according to PhotoPills) Assuming the lens is F/2 then the shutter speed would be 1/4000. How fast can a camera read from the Sensor? why don't see rolling shutter effects when viewing through the EVF?

How does this work with a mechanical shutter. To capture the image for the EVF, the shutter must be open. To take a picture with the shutter needs to close, the sensor wiped clean (zero'd out) and then first and second curtain open to control exposure.

Is this correct? Doesn't this add cost to the camera vs having only an electronic shutter. Why did Nikon include a mechanical shutter in the Z 6iii?
I read in Thom Hogan's Z9 guide that the electronic shutter aspect of the sensor runs at about the equivalent of 1/270 second (3.7ms). Which means it can move the data stream from the 45.7MP pixel count of the sensor fast enough for the Z9 to do away with a mechanical shutter.

Back