How To Connect the BASE of a Ballhead to an ARCA-SWISS PLATE

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

PAUL50

Supporting Member
Marketplace
My tripod has a RRS Quick Connect clamp that I use to quickly mount and remove my Wimberely Gimbelhead. The base of the Gimbalhead has a RRS Arca-Swiss plate, and the two mate perfectly.

For a landscape photo trip I have planned for October, I have to be able to replace the Gimbalhead with a Ball-head because I’ll be using short lenses without feet and adjustable collars, and frequently will be taking vertical vice horizontal shots. By way of explanation, going from horizontal to vertical with a lens that has a foot and adjustable collar on a Gimbalhead is no problem. I just loosen the collar screw and twist, but on shorter lenses with no feet and adjustable collars, the camera body has to be directly attached to the Gimbalhead and I cannot twist the camera to a vertical orientation on the Gimbalhead. Additionally, I can’t use an “L” bracket on the camera because of the longitudinal direction of the Arca-Swiss grooved track, which makes it impossible to connect the camera to the Gimbalhead horizontally although it would attach vertically. A perfect case of you can’t have everything. Ok, back to the problem.

I have a Sirui Ball-head with a quick connect clamp for the camera, but the base of the Ball-head is designed to be screwed directly into the tripod, and does not have a fitting that will easily allow attachment of a quick connect Arca-Swiss plate that will mate with the RRS clamp I already have on the base of the tripod. The problem is the 3/4 and 1/4 reduction screw supplied with the Ball-head is both too large in diameter, and too long, to screw in to an Arca-Swiss plate.

So, with all this wind up, I’d like to know if any of you kind folks out there has a fix for the problem. In short, I’m looking for an Arca-Swiss plate that will accommodate the screw from the Ball-head, which I don’t think is likely, a combination screw that will fit in both the base of the Ball-head and the plate, or some other fix. I’d much prefer not to remove the RRS clamp fitted on the tripod, partially because I want to maintain the quick release system and partially because that clamp on the tripod is held in place with Thread-Lock. The more I’ve written the more I’m convincing myself that the RRS clamp is going to have to come off the tripod but I’m hoping someone will have engineered a fix. Thanks

I have a RRS clamp on my tripod. On the bottom of my BH-55 I have a RRS TH-DVTL-55 plate and on the bottom of the gimbal I have a TH-DVTL-40 plate.

I can then switch from the ball head to the gimbal and back very quickly.

Paul, here are links to the Really Right Stuff products mentioned by Butlerkid, and links to similar Kirk Enterprises products. Choose one that best matches the base diameter of your Sirui head.

https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/th-dvtl-40
https://www.reallyrightstuff.com/th-dvtl-55
https://kirkphoto.com/catalog/produ...-head-quick-release-small-plate/category/116/
https://kirkphoto.com/catalog/produ...-head-quick-release-large-plate/category/116/

Best regards, and happy shooting,
Mike Maxson

I have a RRS clamp on my tripod. On the bottom of my BH-55 I have a RRS TH-DVTL-55 plate and on the bottom of the gimbal I have a TH-DVTL-40 plate.

I can then switch from the ball head to the gimbal and back very quickly.
I amaze myself at my ignorance! LOL! All I had to do was look at the bottom (base) of my Gimbelhead! Thank you all @Barbara , @Butlerkid , and @Mike for the solution. At least I knew the right place to get the correct answer! It’s unfortunate that RRS is out of stock, but Kirk has them available and I like there products as well. Thank you all for your assistance.

I’ve used the Kirk plates mentioned by Mike above on the base of my RRS BH-55 and my RRS leveling base (which also has a clamp on it too). I would probably have used the RRS dovetail plates he mentioned, but they were out of stock when I wanted to buy a couple. I screwed them on to the ball head and leveling base and used a bit of locktite (the one that is more temporary — blue locktite, I think).

The Kirk plates came with screws to use to attach them to a ball head or leveling base or similar. I assume the RRS ones would too. I don’t recall now (and do not have them with me today) whether the screws were 1/4” or 3/8”. I seem to recall both sizes were provided. Although made by Kirk, they have worked very well with the RRS lever clamps that I have on my tripod and leveling base.

You mention a 3/4” screw. That’s bigger than what I have seen on ball heads and tripods. Is it possibly 3/8”.

My tripod has a RRS Quick Connect clamp that I use to quickly mount and remove my Wimberely Gimbelhead. The base of the Gimbalhead has a RRS Arca-Swiss plate, and the two mate perfectly.

For a landscape photo trip I have planned for October, I have to be able to replace the Gimbalhead with a Ball-head because I’ll be using short lenses without feet and adjustable collars, and frequently will be taking vertical vice horizontal shots. By way of explanation, going from horizontal to vertical with a lens that has a foot and adjustable collar on a Gimbalhead is no problem. I just loosen the collar screw and twist, but on shorter lenses with no feet and adjustable collars, the camera body has to be directly attached to the Gimbalhead and I cannot twist the camera to a vertical orientation on the Gimbalhead. Additionally, I can’t use an “L” bracket on the camera because of the longitudinal direction of the Arca-Swiss grooved track, which makes it impossible to connect the camera to the Gimbalhead horizontally although it would attach vertically. A perfect case of you can’t have everything. Ok, back to the problem.

I have a Sirui Ball-head with a quick connect clamp for the camera, but the base of the Ball-head is designed to be screwed directly into the tripod, and does not have a fitting that will easily allow attachment of a quick connect Arca-Swiss plate that will mate with the RRS clamp I already have on the base of the tripod. The problem is the 3/4 and 1/4 reduction screw supplied with the Ball-head is both too large in diameter, and too long, to screw in to an Arca-Swiss plate.

So, with all this wind up, I’d like to know if any of you kind folks out there has a fix for the problem. In short, I’m looking for an Arca-Swiss plate that will accommodate the screw from the Ball-head, which I don’t think is likely, a combination screw that will fit in both the base of the Ball-head and the plate, or some other fix. I’d much prefer not to remove the RRS clamp fitted on the tripod, partially because I want to maintain the quick release system and partially because that clamp on the tripod is held in place with Thread-Lock. The more I’ve written the more I’m convincing myself that the RRS clamp is going to have to come off the tripod but I’m hoping someone will have engineered a fix. Thanks

This post by Steve might help. I have implemented it with satisfaction.

Cheers,

Bill

Back