How to get Nikon z9's interval timer to work for exposures longer than 30 sec?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

When I set Nikon Z9's internal timer for 40 seconds and 10 exposures, the camera only takes 30 sec exposures. I've tried putting the shutter speed on timer and bulb, but it still takes 30 sec exposure. Am I missing some setting? Why would Nikon have all the internal timer options only to have the exposure max out at 30 sec. Any thoughts?

When I set Nikon Z9's internal timer for 40 seconds and 10 exposures, the camera only takes 30 sec exposures. I've tried putting the shutter speed on timer and bulb, but it still takes 30 sec exposure. Am I missing some setting? Why would Nikon have all the internal timer options only to have the exposure max out at 30 sec. Any thoughts?

Here is some explanatory info from the Z9 online manual (Z9 Interval-Timer Photography)

Screenshot 2024-07-13 at 09.13.51.png

I see the exceptions, but how to get the camera to use the settings (like 40 sec exposures) in the interval timer menu item? Why even have these settings if they do not work? Or, if they do work, please tell me how. Thank you for taking the time to explain to this old guy.

I see the exceptions, but how to get the camera to use the settings (like 40 sec exposures) in the interval timer menu item? Why even have these settings if they do not work? Or, if they do work, please tell me how. Thank you for taking the time to explain to this old guy.
It’s been a while since I’ve used interval timer shooting but this video helped me understand the settings. Nikon’s description is not at all clear.

I don't believe that you can, as was listed in the information in the graphic that I posted from the online manual. One of the exceptions is that you can't use the interval timer function with "long time-exposures", e.g., over 30 seconds.

Thanks for your comments. I see now that the interval timer shooting is apparently only for time lapse. I have been using it for startrails (a 30 sec shots) and it works fine (200 shots at 30 sec), but not over 30 sec. I'm disappointed that I have to use an external intervalometer for anything over 30 sec. Thought Nikon could have included long exp options. Maybe a future firmware update?
Again, thanks for your help.

Thanks for your comments. I see now that the interval timer shooting is apparently only for time lapse. I have been using it for startrails (a 30 sec shots) and it works fine (200 shots at 30 sec), but not over 30 sec. I'm disappointed that I have to use an external intervalometer for anything over 30 sec. Thought Nikon could have included long exp options. Maybe a future firmware update?
Ahh, I was wondering what situation was causing you to need longer than 30 second exposures on a recurring interval.

I believe there is an easy workaround for your situation, if you have a remote shutter release cable. Try using the remote cable with the shutter release in the locked position, and the camera in a continuous shooting mode, and it should continue to fire off exposure after exposure at your predefined shutter speed setting until you disengage the lock on the shutter release (or run out of battery, memory card space, etc.). I believe this will work for shutter speeds longer than 30 seconds (that you set in-camera).

Have you read Steve's guides on shooting star trails? He manages to get great results with 30 second exposures:

Thanks for the websites. The reason I was trying to get 33-35 second exposures is that at only 30 sec I get small gaps in the star trails. Yes, I've gotten good ( but could be better) startrails at 30 sec. For now, I guess I'm go back old school and use my intervalometer.

Rather than using an involometer, I use a CamFi unit and control my camera with my iPhone. Can adjust all settings very easily and view picture afterwards without having to go to LiveView on camera. Check it out.
(PS: I hate involometers)

Update to my last post…..
another option that I just switched to is the CamRanger2.
And actually I have found that it works much better and easier than my CamFi. Superior ease of use and options.
I just tested its WiFi reach and was able to operate camera from over 100 feet away. (Not that I would normally be doing that but I set my camera up for a night shot out on my deck and was able to still operate the camera from inside my house).

Back