How to post a picture in presentation forums using a flickr link

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My apologies if this is explained somewhere, but I searched a bit and could not find it. I wanted to post an image using a flickr link, versus the low res jpg images. A few posters already do this, so obviously it can work.

I go to flickr, click the sharing icon and get something like this:

(which I've used to send people links to flickr photos).

Then I try and post this image using the insert image icon on the forum, which gives me a choice of an upload or supplying a URL. I pick the URL option and paste in the link. But I get this error:

Image cannot be loaded from the passed link

What am I doing wrong? Or is just posting the raw link the correct thing to do?

I’m sure it wants the image only url and not the Flickr embedded url. What you’d need to do is open your image in Flickr, view all sizes, pick the size you want to display, right click on it and copy the image url. Then paste that into the insert image link box here.

I’m sure it wants the image only url and not the Flickr embedded url. What you’d need to do is open your image in Flickr, view all sizes, pick the size you want to display, right click on it and copy the image url. Then paste that into the insert image link box here.
Are the steps above what you do?

Not quite following. When you say "open in flickr," exactly what do you mean? I'm looking at the image in an album, via clicking on said image from the album page. I can't right click on the image from there. I can select download and it will ask me a size. Or I can select share and BBcode and select a size. And the URL I get from the last doesn't work either.

Go to your Flickr page select the image you would like to share, click the "share photo " icon on the far right bottom corner, from the drop down select your size, the window will display a url link, copy the link and paste it into your post in BCGforums.

Go to your Flickr page select the image you would like to share, click the "share photo " icon on the far right bottom corner, from the drop down select your size, the window will display a url link, copy the link and paste it into your post in BCGforums.
Sorry to be so slow. The share photo icon gives you four choices. Share, embed, email and BBcode. Embed and BBcode give you a size option. I can pick the size option in either of those two, and when I try and paste the URL, it fails as described above.

This using firefox.

Are the steps above what you do?

Not quite following. When you say "open in flickr," exactly what do you mean? I'm looking at the image in an album, via clicking on said image from the album page. I can't right click on the image from there. I can select download and it will ask me a size. Or I can select share and BBcode and select a size. And the URL I get from the last doesn't work either.
I mean view the image in Flickr. So I go to my photo stream and then click on the image I want to share. Then click on the down arrow in the lower right below your image. This shows you a menu of photo sizes. You might select Medium, for example. Since this is your image you’ll get a link that says View or Download. Click on view. It will then show the image. Click in the address bar and copy the image. Doing these steps gets me to this Flickr image of mine:

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53781812923_fe598d417b_c_d.jpg) is what the url is that came up

53781812923_fe598d417b_c_d.jpg

I mean view the image in Flickr. So I go to my photo stream and then click on the image I want to share. Then click on the down arrow in the lower right below your image. This shows you a menu of photo sizes. You might select Medium, for example. Since this is your image you’ll get a link that says View or Download. Click on view. It will then show the image. Click in the address bar and copy the image. Doing these steps gets me to this Flickr image of mine:

(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53781812923_fe598d417b_c_d.jpg) is what the url is that came up

53781812923_fe598d417b_c_d.jpg
I can click on the download icon, and view all the sizes.

53786891006_ef7fd7d74b_o_d.jpg

I can copy the link associated with the original: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53786891006_ef7fd7d74b_o_d.jpg and that gets me the image above, which does work with the insert. That seems a bit convoluted. Is that what people typically do?

When I press on the down arrow and medium, it downloads the pic to my computer? This is on Safari (on a Mac). No address bar? No menu saying Click or view, immediately downloads to my computer.

Last edited:
When I press on the down arrow and medium, it downloads the pic to my computer? This is on Safari (on a Mac). No address bar? No menu saying Click or view, immediately downloads to my computer.
You don't want to click the down arrow, what you click is the icon that looks like an arrow pointing to the right. It's the one to the left of the download arrow. When you click that a pop up window will appear with a url link and the size of the photo, make sure that in that menu window BBCode is underlined then copy that link and paste it into your post in BCG and you image will appear in your post. This is how I share photos here.

Note that the BB code gives you four URL's, all concatenated. If you delete the first and last two and just keep the the second one that has live.staticflickr.com in it then you will get rid of the references. Make sure to keep the image tags before and after it.

I'm having the same issue figuring out how to post an image from Smugmug. Smugmug is not an approved "media" site like flickr is and as such I cannot use the "Media" option. Is anybody else posting links of images fromSmugmug and if so, how are you doing it?

Thanks for any enlightenment you can share.

I'm having the same issue figuring out how to post an image from Smugmug. Smugmug is not an approved "media" site like flickr is and as such I cannot use the "Media" option. Is anybody else posting links of images fromSmugmug and if so, how are you doing it?

Thanks for any enlightenment you can share.
I share from SM all the time.

In SM:
View an image full screen.
Click the Share Icon in the upper left (the 4th icon)
Select Embed - then Choose size ( I usually select 1024 or 1280)
Click copy url

Then in BCG, click on the picture icon and select the paper clip icon.....and paste the url .

Done!

Here is the random image I selected from SM - size 1024 x 673
Image12-XL.jpg

I share from SM all the time.

In SM:
View an image full screen.
Click the Share Icon in the upper left (the 4th icon)
Select Embed - then Choose size ( I usually select 1024 or 1280)
Click copy url

Then in BCG, click on the picture icon and select the paper clip icon.....and paste the url .

Done!

Here is the random image I selected from SM - size 1024 x 673
Image12-XL.jpg

Thank you. I feel like an idiot. 😵‍💫

I never noticed the option for the link next to the default option for uploading the image. Getting old sucks. :-(

Sorry for the interruption of your weekend. ;)

Back