How to trim videos?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm new to shooting videos and have a lot to learn. My usual workflow is to download the video into Bridge, view them and delete the ones I don't want to keep. A lot of them need the bad parts to be trimmed so I can save hard drive space. I have DaVinci Resolve but I don't think that allows me to trim the original video. I just figured out how to do it in Windows Explorer but is there a better way to do it?

Thanks, Bill

For the most part, any video program can trim a video as it is one of the most basic functions. If that is all you want to do, then use what program you prefer. If you want to to more than trim a video, and perhaps add transitions, then you may want to spend some time with Resolve or a video program with some basic features. Most programs work on a timeline, so it is really a question of what you want to learn and what you want to use.

Good luck,

--Ken

Krish,

Doesn't that just trim a copy of the clip you're working on in Resolve but not the original stored in my computer.
Davinci and the other two big editors are what's known as Non-Linear Editors which are non-destructive. Like Lightroom. Typically you edit, export the edited (trimmed in your case) clip, then archive the original.

Back