Hummingbird at the feeder

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Took a couple of pics on the porch. Any thoughts? Thanks
HB 2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nikon D750 400mm f/6 1/2000sec ISO 3000 EXP 0

HB 3.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nikon D750 460mm f/6 1/2500sec ISO 4000 EXP 0.7

Great shots Fritz. The first one feels crowded; is this cropped? Also the flash (looks like you used flash...) is creating some real bright spots on the feathers on his back. If you could give him some more room and tone down the bright spots I suspect it would look a bit more appealing.

Thank you for the feedback. I didn't use a flash, this was the lighting on our porch at the time I shot the pics. In the second I did have my exp comp set and it blew out the highlights. I will work on cropping for a comfortable look. Thanks again.

Nice captures - hummingbirds are a lot of fun.

If you are choosing to include the feeder, it's often okay to include all of the bottom of the feeder rather than just a portion. The story makes more sense - of a bird feeding rather than a bird with an extraneous feeder. The other option is to crop even tighter and exclude the feeder completely.

The head position of the bird in the first image needs to be slightly more toward the camera. Even slightly turned away is sub-optimal. The second one is interesting but unconventional - and that can be a plus but is a matter of personal perspective. The images are very sharp, so the captures are solid.

Thank you for the feedback. The sun was pretty bright from the left, unfortunately the shot is a bit over-exposed, I have the highlights turned all the way down.
Understood. Sometimes I find it's a fine line between the exp. being just right in camera or being a hair over with a few tiny blinkies. This isn't bad, nothing major really.

Back