I need advice on getting lens protective filters

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

On this forum, it appears that most do not use them. But I do. I have one on my 500 PF and my 700-300 p zoom. I would rather clean the filter than The actual lens. And in your situation, sand and sea salt would result in cleaning very often. I use a Nikon clear filter. I have not seen any degradation in image quality.

I've been to Florida many times and never noticed sand in the air. I'm sure it happens in strong wind, though. There are traces of salt in the air from the ocean especially near the shore and that can corrode metals after years of exposure.

I would put a filter on the lens if you perceive a risk to the front element. Otherwise I would just use a lens hood.

I have Nikon lens and buy a Nikon Neutral Clear Filter (and Nikon Circular Polarizer Filter) for every lens. I do it for protection. I definitely want it with sand and dust flying around such as at the beach or the car races in Austin with constant winds.

My first recommendation would be to buy one branded by your camera manufacturer. After that, Hoya, B+W , Singh, and Nisi are popular and decent. Very high level filter info at https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/buying-guide/a-guide-to-filters-for-lenses

Lots of photographers do not want an extra piece of glass in front of their lens when shooting - do some internet searches and you will find many "serious" discussions on the subject.

I have them on my lenses, more specific the filter from Hoya, the HD nano mk II.
The reason for me using them is easy cleaning and protection of the front element during my South African safaris where a lens 3has to endure a bit of rougher handling.
Loss on IQ? Don't think so :). Plenty of pictures but here is one of them from last week (shot with the Nikkor 100-400mm)

I have had mixed experiences with Hoya filters. I had one where the metal spring clip came out of its spot and the end of the metal was resting on the front element of my 24-70 f2.8. I am not sure what the spring clip is called, but it is intended to keep the glass part of the filter in its mount.
No damage was done but I don;t have filters of that design any more, and I only use protective filters in sand and salt. My NiSi filters have all performed well.

I have had mixed experiences with Hoya filters. I had one where the metal spring clip came out of its spot and the end of the metal was resting on the front element of my 24-70 f2.8. I am not sure what the spring clip is called, but it is intended to keep the glass part of the filter in its mount.
No damage was done but I don;t have filters of that design any more, and I only use protective filters in sand and salt. My NiSi filters have all performed well.
Funny you say that. I literally had the very same issue with a NiSi protection filter for mu 600PF as Hoya did not make them in this diameter.
I heard rattling when taking out my lens of the backpack and found the glass loose as a spring ring got detached.
Guess it was just bad luck. Got a replacement under warranty.

I use Nikon NC on the Z180-600
And Hoya Fusion Protect on all my other lenses.
It’s a very personal choice. Many don’t use protective filters. If my glass costs a lot, then I’d rather get sea spray, sand etc on a filter.
Here’s an interesting article.
If the filter gets dirty or appears to affect the IQ it’s pretty easy to remove.
For in the field ND or CPL I like to use the Kase Magnetics which are again, so easy to pop on and off, and are great quality.

I use Marumi Protect filters on all my shorter focal length lenses, primarily as the first layer of impact in event of accidents. In one case, this saved the 70-200 2.8E entirely intact on a trip after an impact shattered the filter.
The testing by Roger Cicala revealed there're little practical differences between the top brands, possibly because the actual glass is likely either made by Hoya or Nikon in any case.
Otherwise the deep hood provides adequate protection for telephotos - IME over many years. Cleaning off salt / grit involves blowing with compressed air, and then rinsing with distilled water in the first steps, before touching the coated glass with lens wipes.

Despite a "few" standing up for using filters I expect a poll would clarify relatively few actually use them often as distinct from never.
As stated by a "few" here above is the use of protection filters a personal choice. I use protection filters as a simple grain of sand can give scratches on the front glass.
I also find that the filters I use are more easy to clean due to the coating but that might be a biased thing, I admit.
Anyway, I see no loss in image quality and it gives me a more secure feeling. Everybody as his or her reasons to (not) use them , whatever a poll brings to light.

As stated by a "few" here above is the use of protection filters a personal choice.
I agree a personal choice.
What I was interested in was the percentage sitting on either side of the fence.
My own experience is
1/ in 61 years of photography I have never had a front element scratched - although I have seen some "rough" examples on sale second hand.
2/ when I was in charge of an insurance claims department there were more lens damage claims for damage caused by a broken filter than other lens damage/theft combined.

Back