If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Steve

Admin
Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have a feeling this howler monkey wanted to smack me! Well, that's what it looks like anyway. This was captured while on a little boat in Costa Rica. We spotted this howler and went in for a closer look - and he did the same! Before I knew it, we was on a low branch and from my standing position on the boat we were eye to eye. This It only lasted a few seconds, but it was enough to grab this shot. Initially, I thought I'd blown it when I noticed my ISO was 12,800 - I should have lowered my shutter speed. I was bummed out but when we got back to the hotel I loaded it into Lightroom and decided it didn't look too terribly bad after all. Then, I used the (new at the time) Denoise feature and it ended up looking like ISO 100!

howler-a74.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Great shot Steve! It is encouraging to hear that even you don’t end up with the camera settings you wanted all the time! :)
LOL, nope, I mess up too :) I try to practice what I preach, but sometimes my brain just isn't fully in gear :)

Wow... this is such a clean portrait of a howler. They are normally surrounded by so much vegetation.
I'm blown away by how clean the file ended up being, as I am rarely pleased with my ISO6400 shot w/ the Z9.

bruce

Wow... this is such a clean portrait of a howler. They are normally surrounded by so much vegetation.
I'm blown away by how clean the file ended up being, as I am rarely pleased with my ISO6400 shot w/ the Z9.

bruce
Thanks :) I too was surprised. I was really bummed out when I realized I neglected to drop the shutter speed and thought it was going to be a throw away. Between the camera's ISO chops and Lightroom, it worked well.

Good shot, Steve. I'm not sure he wanted to smack you, though. The look on that face looks like exasperation. "Darn, yet another tourist pointing a long thing at me without offering any treats!".

Excellent capture, Steve. Among humans and animals, the "stink eye" is universal and it appears he shot you with it. But hey, don't feel like the Lone Ranger, it happens to us all. ;)