I thought I did, but I don't understand Z9 focus point persistence anymore !

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have read Steve' Z9 ultimate guide and find it extremely useful.

Page 189 of Steve's guide, I read : switching from a 'primary' AF-area mode (Wide AF) to a 'secondary' AF-area mode (3D) by pressing Fn1 needs Focus point persistence enabled

and page 229 : Two prerequisites for using focus point persistence :
. have an AF-area assigned to a programmable button
. using an AF-area mode where the camera chooses the AF point

OK, BBAF is not mentioned in these two pages, but I think Steve is using BBAF ?

and then I just found this sentence in page 605 of the Z9 reference guide about A7 Focus Point Persistence :
.... this only applies if you change AF-area modes while focusing with the shutter-release button pressed halfway.

How I understand it, that would mean Focus point persistence does not work with BBAF ?
I must say, I am now really confused.
Help !

While BBAF was essential for DSLRs it is far less so for cameras like the Z9.

Most of us "accept" that having instant access to Single Point+AF-ON; one of the Dynamic-Areas+AF-ON AND 3D-tracking is the best place to shoot wildlife.

The question is how to acquire and start to track subjects before switching to 3D tracking -- and for many we start with Area-C1/C2 and engage/enable/turn-on Animal Tracking -- and we move the C1/C2 area to reflect composition choices and to help the camera to focus in a specific area. Others try starting with full auto-area AF.

I enable AF-ON with my selected area/dynamic setting to the half depressed shutter button and once the target I want to shoot has been locked onto I switch to 3D-tracking.

However, when there are lots of targets ir a very difficult environment - I also start with single point or dynamic area and switch to 3D tracking focus point persistence helps the handover from an Fn button AF to 3D - and I use it in other scenarios too -- see page 229 of Steve's Ultimate Nikon Z9 Setup and Shooting Guide for Wildlife Photography.

I advocate turning it on (AUTO) AND I advocate always using subject tracking - Animal or others when using C1/C2 or other Area AF options.

It is also clear that one can enable 3D-tracking with subject tracking enabled and -- if one listens to Hudson Henry -- this performs "better" when shooting wildlife than disabling subject tracking. There clearly is something in a Z9's approach to 3D tracking that is very different to how it worked on the D6 or earlier Z bodies.

I do not and will not use Auto-Area AF -- some folk do and do so with subject tracking disabled -- I am sorry but this is not good practice and can lead to random outcomes.

Last edited:
Focus point persistence works if you have the AF-ON button depressed (for BBAF) as well as shutter button half way depressed (if shutter AF is not disabled). I use BBAF and have not noticed any issues. I can’t vouch for the shutter button half way depressed, as I’ve always had that method of enabling focus disabled on my Z9.

The Z9 is so complex that not every possibility is always covered in the manual. I recommend trying things like this on your Z9 (before an outing), as you can always change it back if whatever it is does not work.

In the setting guide for sports by Nikon it is even written, that it also works with back button focus (see point 4 on page 13).

98265297-C99A-4494-8AB5-44FA700231FA.png

80B2037E-12E2-40C0-BDBA-790FCEE48A8B.png

As far as I'm aware for every camera from every maker the back button when set for autofocus triggers the exact same response as the shutter half press. The user guides just go from the point of view of the camera defaults.

Back