If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Kathy G

I took this photo a number of years ago in Twillingate, Newfoundland. A group of us went for a sunset tour of the icebergs in a Zodiac. The ocean was calm and there were numerous icebergs. Taken with a Nikon D600 and a 24-120 F4 lens at 75mm. I have enhanced the colours with Color Efex (I may have been a little heavy handed here, please let me know). Constructive comments are very welcome.
DSC_1094_Nik-3_Nik-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Beautiful shot Kathy, the only suggestion I would make would be to tone down that tiny rectangular shaped reflection on the main berg. It does take my eye quite a lot.
Thanks Gongster. Your right that sun reflection looks way too saturated. I missed it in processing, thanks for pointing it out! BTW, you state main berg, it is one berg!

Beautiful Kathy, as stated - To my African eye - is the ice blue or is it white? I see it is blue here, but is that the actual in the field colour or does the body render it as such. I like it, jut wondering.

Beautiful Kathy, as stated - To my African eye - is the ice blue or is it white? I see it is blue here, but is that the actual in the field colour or does the body render it as such. I like it, jut wondering.
Thanks Callie. We think of icebergs as white and they generally are white. But, you do find colours in them. Sometimes there is brown in some parts of the berg. You will often find thick blue lines which you see on the right hand side of this berg and a bit on the top left side. When I process iceberg photos I usually change the white balance to bring out blue tones because it adds a cold feel to the photo which I like. This berg was back lit so it was dark in the raw file. I brightened the berg a bit and if I remember correctly it did look more or less this colour from the boat. In post I did try brightening it more but, being back lit, the purple line of chromatic aberration kicked in. You can still see it in this photo but not as much. I tried to get rid of it in my raw processor but it did not work. The purple is not evident in the raw file.
Icebergs are beautiful - especially when the setting or rising sun reflects on them. I did enhance those sunset colours in Colour Efex.

Thanks Callie. We think of icebergs as white and they generally are white. But, you do find colours in them. Sometimes there is brown in some parts of the berg. You will often find thick blue lines which you see on the right hand side of this berg and a bit on the top left side. When I process iceberg photos I usually change the white balance to bring out blue tones because it adds a cold feel to the photo which I like. This berg was back lit so it was dark in the raw file. I brightened the berg a bit and if I remember correctly it did look more or less this colour from the boat. In post I did try brightening it more but, being back lit, the purple line of chromatic aberration kicked in. You can still see it in this photo but not as much. I tried to get rid of it in my raw processor but it did not work. The purple is not evident in the raw file.
Icebergs are beautiful - especially when the setting or rising sun reflects on them. I did enhance those sunset colours in Colour Efex.
Love the colour kick in the sky. Your programme does not do layer, I understand. To get rid on a halo around something, I either paint with the adjacent colour or use the clone tool. I zoom in to 600Z or so wand use a small brush, then just paint out or clone out the halo strip. My black eagle I posted yesterday took me 3 hours just to go around it to remove the halo. And you have to do it each time you decrease the size of the canvas /image. But your image is wonderful. I understand that some of the blues, especially in Antarctica, is 1000's of years of pressure that does something to the ice structure, turning it blue. Both this I read in another lifetime . . .

Callie, yes I had read that I could clone out the halo. Ohh, but that sounds like work!! The clone/repair tool I have in my raw processor is not bad but it is nothing compared to PS. The 1000s of years of pressure making the blue ice - you have reminded me of something here. I believe someone once told me that. Presumably the same occurs in Greenland (which is where all these bergs originate). And thanks for the compliments on the photo!