Iceland waterfalls Seljalandsfoss, Skógafoss, Svartifoss, and Gulfoss

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

PhilG

Supporting Member
I have been responding to a thread started by dgettisnc in the Destinations forum that relates to Iceland. This prompted me to post some images of Seljalandsfoss, Skogafoss, Svartifoss, and Gulfoss that I took on a trip in September 2018.

The two photographs that follow are of Seljalandsfoss. In September Seljalandsfoss is best photographed late in the day before and after sunset in my opinion. A classic shot is to get behind the waterfall on a ledge and shoot through the falling water as the sun sets. I got there too late for that and went to a position I scouted the day before. It so happened that the best sky I saw during my trip occurred when these two photographs were taken. It was overcast a great deal of the time.

_DSC3838-Edit-2-4K.jpg

Nikon D850, AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/4G, 17mm, f/13, 1.3s, ISO 64

_DSC3852-Edit-3-4K.jpg

Nikon D850, AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/4G, 17mm, f/11, 1.3s, ISO 64

The three photographs that follow are of Skógafoss. Skógafoss can be photographed at different times, but in September if you want a photograph without a lot of people in the foreground, you need to photograph before sunrise and soon after that. The first two photographs provide an opportunity to compare the silky water versus faster exposure look. The third photo is me in front of the waterfall, a photograph a lot of people take. I set up the camera and had my wife take some photographs.

_DSC3530-Edit-3-4K.jpg

Nikon D850, AF-S Nikkor 24-70 f2.8E, 32mm, f/13, 1.6s, ISO 64

_DSC3732-Edit-4K.jpg

Nikon D850, AF-S Nikkor 24-70 f2.8E, 34mm, f/11, 1/80s, ISO 400

DSC_2401-Edit-2-4K.jpg

Nikon D850, AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G, 155mm, f/13, 1/125s, ISO 800

This following waterfall is Svartifoss. The problem with photographing this waterfall is that the viewing area is small. I happened to get there late because I had a flat the day before, and it was very busy. I had to go to the left of the platform to get a clear view of the waterfall in an area people were waiting to shoot from. Things were also complicated by the fact it was raining off and on, which did give the rocks in the foreground a nice look but was a nuisance.

_DSC3911-NO-DELETE-4K.jpg

Nikon D850, AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/4G, 20mm, f/13, .8s, ISO 64

These next three photographs are of Gulfoss, which I have read is the most visited Icelandic waterfall. It has the most parking and a lot more infrastructure than any other I visited, so it wouldn’t surprise me. It can be seen from multiple locations, and it is worth going to all of them. The first image was taken as you walk down from up high, and it probably isn’t obvious from the photograph, but the wind had to be at least 30 mph up there. The second image was from a lower spot to the right of that location. The last photograph was taken at the viewing area you see many people standing at next to the waterfall in the first two photographs.

_DSC3646-Edit-2-4K.jpg

Nikon D850, AF-S Nikkor 24-70 f2.8E, 28mm, f/13, 1/13s, ISO 125

_DSC3661-Edit-2-4K.jpg

Nikon D850, AF-S Nikkor 24-70 f2.8E, 50mm, f/8, 1/125s, ISO 320

_DSC3675-Edit-2-4K.jpg

Nikon D850, AF-S Nikkor 24-70 f2.8E, 26mm, f/5.6, 1/60s, ISO 250

Great shots, all. #1 is my favorite. I'm happy for you to get a few with some color in the sky. When we went there in 2019 over half of the days were overcast or rainy. We waited till 10pm when the crowds thinned to get a shot of Skogafoss .

Beautiful photos, Phil! I've been thinking about maybe visiting Iceland, your photos changed that from maybe to definitely!
Thanks for the compliment. Iceland is one of the best trips I have ever taken. I spent most of my time on the south side, and at the end we went up to the Snaefellsnes peninsula where I saw the aurora, and then the aurora again when we finished the trip at Reykjavik. I chose September because the Aurora would be present then and it wouldn't be too cold. There were other places I wanted to go but didn't have the time. There is some good information on Iceland in the Destination forum. I would try to go next year unless you like colder weather and want to try it this year.

Thanks for the compliment. Iceland is one of the best trips I have ever taken. I spent most of my time on the south side, and at the end we went up to the Snaefellsnes peninsula where I saw the aurora, and then the aurora again when we finished the trip at Reykjavik. I chose September because the Aurora would be present then and it wouldn't be too cold. There were other places I wanted to go but didn't have the time. There is some good information on Iceland in the Destination forum. I would try to go next year unless you like colder weather and want to try it this year.
That's great info, Phil - thank you! I'd love to go yet this year, but not in the budget as Friday I leave for two weeks in Ireland/Scotland. We have a whopping 1 hour layover in Keflavik, Iceland, obviously not enough to do anything. I'll have to plan it for next year.

That's great info, Phil - thank you! I'd love to go yet this year, but not in the budget as Friday I leave for two weeks in Ireland/Scotland. We have a whopping 1 hour layover in Keflavik, Iceland, obviously not enough to do anything. I'll have to plan it for next year.
Now I'm envious. I would like to do both Ireland and Scotland but am wanting to focus on the Isle of Skye area and surroundings, and then go back to London as my wife wants to visit there again.

Back