Icelandic river

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Personally I would not even consider trying to do videos with a camera , too many problems such as over heating - having to change lenses etc etc. To me a camera is for stills and a camcorder is for videos, each is designed for a specific job. Therefore I only use my Nikon D810 for stills and my Panasonic HC-X1500 for videos. Packing a small camcorder into a camera bag instead of some huge heavy "X"mm lens to me makes more sense. I think there is still some taboo people have about camcorders yet they are nowhere near like the old tape movie era of yester year.
I can think of nothing worst then seeing a chance for a video clip/sill only to find the camera has the wrong lens on it and miss that opportunity.

Example a Nikon AF-S 600mm f4E FL ED VR in the UK costs new just about £11,000 pounds . And what can it do ? only take a photo at a distance, and that is all.

My Panasonic HC-X1500 camcorder can do the same 600mm length for £1400 and also close up video/stills as well . On top of that no overheating worries/ no need for lens change and just grab and get that still/video the camera missed. It will go on until the battery runs out or the 2x SD memory cards fill up. this is not even touching sound quality.

river in Iceland (unedited) steady zoom in focus all the way and back, no need for lens change and actual sound as shot

Handheld
Panasonic HV-X1500 camcorder with an Azden SMX-30v microphone

try doing that with a camera using a video setting!!!!!

That's the reason I don't shoot video on my still camera. ;) My husband carries a camcorder and does superb video. Without changing lenses, without worrying about exposure. Without worrying about focus. He just shoots. Then edits in Final Cut Pro, does full narration and dubs in music in the background.

Pleasant Videos

Personally I would not even consider trying to do videos with a camera , too many problems such as over heating - having to change lenses etc etc. To me a camera is for stills and a camcorder is for videos, each is designed for a specific job. ....
Hi reelspeed,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this topic. You make some good and compelling points.

I think the one big thing you're missing in your presentation is that many of us hybrid shooters who do stills and videos during the same outing, actually want to do this, like to do it, and look forward to the challenges to be overcome in producing good results. I have been a Nikon stills shooter since 1970 (I'm in my mid-70s now) and an amateur wildlife photographer for the last 14 years. Two years ago I told my wife "I need a change in my photography hobby, a new challenge, so I'm going to give wildlife videos a shot."

After doing the research I bought one of the leading mirrorless hybrid cameras available at the time, the Canon R5, and a versatile high-quality 100-500mm zoom lens suitable for wildlife and began the long, difficult yet very enjoyable task of learning the craft. I love it! To be able to take some great still images and then instantly switch to 4K or 8K video recording with the click of a button is fantastic! And my one lens does it all - no switching required. (y) :love:

Thanks again for sharing,
Cheers,
Rudy

Last edited:
I actually own and use both the Canon R5 and the Panasonic HC-X1500.
Case in point, I was doing a video of an Eagles nest with mom and 2 babies. The R5 was locked down on the tripod concentrating on nest interaction. The male came flying in with a huge fish. I was able to keep videoing the nest, grab the HC-X1500 and get video of the male . I'm not quick enough or experienced enough to take the R5 off the tripod and get the incoming action. Works great for me.

I actually own and use both the Canon R5 and the Panasonic HC-X1500.
Case in point, I was doing a video of an Eagles nest with mom and 2 babies. The R5 was locked down on the tripod concentrating on nest interaction. The male came flying in with a huge fish. I was able to keep videoing the nest, grab the HC-X1500 and get video of the male . I'm not quick enough or experienced enough to take the R5 off the tripod and get the incoming action. Works great for me.
Great case in point, Bob! (y) Would love to see the footage.
Cheers,
Rudy

Nice looking location and I get your point about the lighweight and zoom flexibility aspects of a camcorder. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Since you made some strong claims, perhaps you don't mind me to be devil's advocate.

too many problems such as over heating
Gerald Undone's reviews of many recent ILC cameras for example demonstrate that overheating in becoming a non-issue even when recording in high quality settings.

having to change lenses
There are a few ILC lenses with large zoom ranges too. The Tamron 18-400 for DSLRs for example, would give you the same effective range as you have with your camcorder when mounted with an APS-C camera. The caveat of these large zoom range lens designs is they tend to sacrifice image quality a little more than most other types of lenses. A one-to-rule-them-all approach doesn't always work. For example, in a dark location, a system providing a smaller zoom range but better noise performance might be advantageous.

Packing a small camcorder into a camera bag instead of some huge heavy "X"mm lens
You are highlighting the size advantage of a dedicated camcorder, which in some ways I understand. However, on your trips you bring both a ILC system and a camcorder instead of just one option.

I can think of nothing worst then seeing a chance for a video clip/sill only to find the camera has the wrong lens
Again, ILC lineups cover all sorts of zoom ranges.

My Panasonic HC-X1500 camcorder can do the same 600mm length for £1400
Field of view is the same but actual focal length is 98,9mm with a crop factor of 6.02 in relation to a full frame sensor. For a performance comparison to be balanced, other metrics such as sharpness, noise performance and depth of field capabilities should also be considered. For example, with a crop factor of 6, at f4, an estimation would suggest that noise peformance should be about 36 times worse than what you would get with a full frame sensor.

just grab and get that still/video the camera missed
Other than zoom range, factors such as the ability to obtain quick and accurate focus are relevant to reduce the chances of missing the shot.

I'm glad you are happy with your camcorder. Use what you like!

Tiago C

I agree with you, one should use what they like. However when do a comparison type of presentation I find by actually showing a video has a lot more impct than just a written statement. For example I would like to see something along the same lines with what you quoted "Tamron 18-400" hand held covering that range handheld, without either camera shake or hesitation throughout the clip.

I am all but few days off being 79 years old so where as carrying a heavy camera and lens was no problem ,now things are a bit different and weight is a bigger consideration.

On that Iceland trip I also packed a panasonic compact camera in the same bag . . Often overlooked is this camcorder can also take reasonable still as well.

Fjord still photo direct from camcorder unedited saved in the thumbnail camcorder menu. One could also take a photo while making the video without refering to playback first
11000021.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

same river looking other way (again unedited)

Last edited:
One advantage I had was when in Egypt with a previous camcorder. Back then I had the Panasonic HC-X900m Camcorder and because of the type of people in that country theft is rife. That camcorder stayed in my pocket with my hand over it until using it. A couple of others had their cameras pinched.

Abu Simbel

So many different counties visited and made videos in to remember the places. From the USA to Russia to Brazil to the Carribean. a good few of the baltic countries and also those in Europe. not forgetting China and Japan

Last edited:
Personally I would not even consider trying to do videos with a camera , too many problems such as over heating - having to change lenses etc etc. To me a camera is for stills and a camcorder is for videos, each is designed for a specific job. Therefore I only use my Nikon D810 for stills and my Panasonic HC-X1500 for videos. Packing a small camcorder into a camera bag instead of some huge heavy "X"mm lens to me makes more sense. I think there is still some taboo people have about camcorders yet they are nowhere near like the old tape movie era of yester year.
I can think of nothing worst then seeing a chance for a video clip/sill only to find the camera has the wrong lens on it and miss that opportunity.

Example a Nikon AF-S 600mm f4E FL ED VR in the UK costs new just about £11,000 pounds . And what can it do ? only take a photo at a distance, and that is all.

My Panasonic HC-X1500 camcorder can do the same 600mm length for £1400 and also close up video/stills as well . On top of that no overheating worries/ no need for lens change and just grab and get that still/video the camera missed. It will go on until the battery runs out or the 2x SD memory cards fill up. this is not even touching sound quality.

river in Iceland (unedited) steady zoom in focus all the way and back, no need for lens change and actual sound as shot

Handheld
Panasonic HV-X1500 camcorder with an Azden SMX-30v microphone

try doing that with a camera using a video setting!!!!!
Am glad to hear that works for you. I used to have a Sony camcorder (actually had several over the years) but gave it up at least 10 years ago. Since then, I have taken video with either a DSLR, point and shoot, iPhone and, most recently, my Z8 and Z9. Each have their advantages. I am not sure your point about sound quality. I have had problems getting good sound with all of them, including the camcorder. When people are nearby making noise, it is very windy, etc the camcorder picked it up and amplified it (like in your Egypt video). I have never used remote microphones since I am taking the video as I go around.
My most recent videos with my Z9/Z8 I feel are my best. I never change the lens for video versus stills, and often am shifting from stills (after I get some shots) to video since I feel that in many ways it is easier to get the stills. I am only shooting wildlife so to get a bird nest, etc need the long lenses. And so far have not had any problems with overheating of the Z9/Z8 but since I am doing wildlife, it is rare that any of my videos last more than 5 minutes. Plus using the same camera means one less thing to carry, worry about charging the batteries, memory, the different controls, etc. So glad it works for you but personally, am much happier now with just my mirrorless Nikons since I can visualize the video through the EVF (versus the back screen on the DSLR). There are many more video modes on the Z9/8 then I can possibly use for video (ie. RAW, etc).
PS. The video that has most impressed me recently is some of the footage take by drones going over the volcanic rivers flowing in Iceland.

As regard sound I did quite a bit of reseach on microphones and came up with this, The Azden SMX-30v which really cut out wind noise extremely well with a deadcat muffler on it. there were several reasons why I went for this one. it can do directional or stereo at the turn of a dial- the audio cable is detachable unlike other well known makes. uses AA batteries easily accesible without removing from the camera/camcorder- power also from camera/camcorder if necessary swivels 30 degrees left or right on its own pivot. has the usual high pass switches etc . yes it is quite large but sound quatily is very very good.

By the Alnes lighthouseat the island Godøy. Norway. in very windy conditions. c an even hear the guy mowing the churchyard lawn in the background, very little wind rumble

Inside a fareo Isle Church . i think the sound on this video is ok

Last edited:
One advantage I had was when in Egypt with a previous camcorder. Back then I had the Panasonic HC-X900m Camcorder and because of the type of people in that country theft is rife. That camcorder stayed in my pocket with my hand over it until using it. A couple of others had their cameras pinched.

Abu Simbel

So many different counties visited and made videos in to remember the places. From the USA to Russia to Brazil to the Carribean. a good few of the baltic countries and also those in Europe. not forgetting China and Japan
I'm planning to visit Egypt are they any certain places they don't allow cameras? I read from this blog https://gowithguide.com/blog/egypt-tourism-statistics-2023-all-you-need-to-know-5312 you aren't allowed to bring drone but I also read from a thread that there's certain places that they dont allow cameras.

Last edited:
I'm planning to visit Egypt are they any certain places they don't allow cameras? I read from this blog https://gowithguide.com/blog/egypt-tourism-statistics-2023-all-you-need-to-know-5312 you aren't allowed to bring drone but I also read from a thread that there's certain places that they dont allow cameras.

first of all be aware there are different police forces in Egypt- civil and tourist who could be in a group with you . we found that there are notices saying no photography allowed and woe betide you if you ignore. One of our group tried it and got taken away by the tourist police
The main problem we found was the Egyptians give you something then demand payment. They are very persistant my advise is IGNORE THEM and walk past. Also destraction thefts are very common so don't take too much cash with you if out and about..

we had booked with a company that did a fly cruise including a trip on the River nile and had a fantastic tour guide. did Cairo and king tut room in the museum on a day trip with the tour company

I highly recommend the river cruise - Luxor to the Aswan Dam

which not only took in thre ancient buildings but went to the broken Obelisk
DSC_6216.JPG

the Nubian village where the locals Keep Nile crocodiles in their homes
DSC_6296a.jpg

I would suggest checking out that river trip and what it includes My wife and I rteally enjoyed it and the sunsets unbelieveable

onboard the river boat that only holds 120 people I can highly recommend saw so much that we would have missed any other way

Nubian dance display

I wont go into everything but suffice to say in onboard the crew were great even Made my wife a special cake because she told the head chef how much she liked the on she had wateneaten at meal times

Last edited:
When they were constructing the Aswan dam in Egypt for lake Nasser, Abu Simbla would have been under water. So they moved the statues etc brick by brick to where it now stands

Last edited:
Back