If you had to choose between. [D500/Z8/500pf]

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If you had to choose between:

• Total voters
I can't answer this poll without knowing what problem needs to be solved ...

From all I've read on this forum, the 500 pf (which I own and think is an awesome lens for the wildlife photographer on the move ...) works well with the Z8/Z9. And the 1.4 TC apparently works better on this combo than on the dSLRs (though the TC is absolutely usable with the 500 pf on the D500).

The big f4 lenses give you better low light performance over the 500 pf at a cost in weight and handling. The Z8 would seem to give you a lot of things over the D500, in particular the better AF and higher burst rate. For me I'd go with the Z8 as an overall upgrade over a dSLR. But it really depends on what you need "fixed" with your current gear.

I’m not in the Nikon camp anymore, never used a Z8 or Z9 (but used a Z6II and Z7)
Used a 500mm PF but didn’t really like it for it’s max aperture since I was shooting almost constantly in lowlight conditions.
(Same reason why I ditched the F800 F/5.6 eventually)
LOL same reason why I ditched the D500, super WL camera those days, but not so good in low light at high ISO’s.
Than looking at the quality, resolvingpower, AF and portability of the mirrorless lenses plus the fact DSLR ecosystems won’t evolve any further I’d either buy mirrorless with the possibility to buy the newer, better stuff in the future or if I’d really wanted to stay with the DSLR ecosystem for personal reasons buy the Sigma 500 F/4 (according to Brad Hill as good as the Nikon F/4)
That is ONLY if you really really need that F4 aperture, everything else doesn’t net you anything better.

So for the most bang for the buck I’d choose option 1

Unless you have a specific use case that requires the 500 f/4 over the 500PF 5.6, I would say, as a D500 lover since the day it shipped until this last February when I jumped to the Z8, get the Z8 and keep the 500PF. This moves you into the latest body capabilities while still having excellent glass. Plus, the f/4 exotics and big, heavy and touch to hand hold. They impose a whole set of shot discipline and support issues. Or, if you don't need the 45mp, look at the Z6III, sell the 500pf and D500 and get a 500 f/4 or keep the 500PF and put the $1,000 you saved away for your next acquisition, a trip or dare I say it, something for the significant other (if there is one) to balance out the scales so to speak.

I also support keeping the 500mm pf and getting the Z8.

My photo buddy had (has) that combination and I have seen what he can do with it. The 500 works well in the Z8 environment. The Z8 is a huge improvement over DSLR cameras. You will not regret moving into the Z world.

The 500PF is sharper and faster focusing on the Z9 and Z8 than it is on a native DSLR
It’s not sharper, there is no magic involved with a mirrorless camera regarding sharpness, resolving power of the lens is not affected by a sensor.
So any F-mount lens combined with a D850 in LV-mode will resolve exactly the same like when combined with its 45MP mirrorless equivalent.
The claimed increase in sharpness is exclusively coming from the better Autofocus system.
You’re absolutely right regarding the fact you’ll get more sharp keepers in more scenarios because the mirrorless system is faster and foremost it is less prone to autofocus errors.

It’s not sharper, there is no magic involved with a mirrorless camera regarding sharpness, resolving power of the lens is not affected by a sensor.
So any F-mount lens combined with a D850 in LV-mode will resolve exactly the same like when combined with its 45MP mirrorless equivalent.
The claimed increase in sharpness is exclusively coming from the better Autofocus system.
You’re absolutely right regarding the fact you’ll get more sharp keepers in more scenarios because the mirrorless system is faster and foremost it is less prone to autofocus errors.
It is sharper. You get critical focus sure to no separate AF Nicole off the sensor. The AF comes directly off the sensor now.

So you get critical focus at an times. AF fine tuning isn't perfect on DSLRs. So yes, lenses will be consistently sharper on mirrorless compared to DSLRs.

The lens itself is the same.

this is probably the most skewed poll I've ever seen. I love it

I voted for Z8 + 500PF.

I derive a lot of my fun from the size/weight of the setup I'm using. I would never want to go back to 8lb+ lenses. plus the AF and all the other things that make modern mirrorless so good.

It is sharper. You get critical focus sure to no separate AF Nicole off the sensor. The AF comes directly off the sensor now.

So you get critical focus at an times. AF fine tuning isn't perfect on DSLRs. So yes, lenses will be consistently sharper on mirrorless compared to DSLRs.

The lens itself is the same.

Let’s agree to disagree.
Like I said before there are scenarios where there won’t be any difference in sharpness.
(You make it sound like critical sharpness was never acquired with DSLR’s.)
The fact we have consistently sharper results is NOT related to the lens which according to your statement resolves more when used with a mirrorless camera but solely by the better Autofocus.

Let’s agree to disagree.
Like I said before there are scenarios where there won’t be any difference in sharpness.
(You make it sound like critical sharpness was never acquired with DSLR’s.)
The fact we have consistently sharper results is NOT related to the lens which according to your statement resolves more when used with a mirrorless camera but solely by the better Autofocus.
I shot the 500PF on my D850 and D500 and AF fine tuned it on both. It was a +3/+4 on both. With seeing was ever so slightly off towards the getting and back focusing. It was very sharp, on my Z9, i had no such variance and was sharper the instant i put out on my Z9.

I've had many people see and say the same thing so 8 believe my eyes so w we'll just agree to disagree

Not asking about the background I straight away voted fo option 1. Why ?
  • I had the 500PF using it with a D4s and a D850 and it is great. Runing my personal littel Imatest Excel monster with the review data of the guys from Photographylife and the 500PF is still able to compete with the correponding lenses in the Z lineup ( see also comparisons done by @Steve)
  • The only reason I traded it was to get the money together for switching to mirrorless. Beside that I have its bigger brother, the 500 f4G and have some lighter Z lens for the walkabout stuff.
  • Having been very hesitant with switching to mirrorless and with the experience I made with my Z8 up to now, keeping a DSLR if I have the choice is not an option for me anymore. This is also because of the AF system limitations on DSLR's starting with f8. With a Z8 you can use the 500PF with a TC14 giving you a 700mm f8 that might be a litztle bit slower in AF speed compared to hte naked lens, but the AF system of gthe Z8 remains fully working with everathing is it able to do, while on a DSLR you end up with just 12 or 15 AF sensors being left working.

Attachments

• OSPREY - 0954.jpeg
    OSPREY - 0954.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 18
  • OSPREY - 1026.jpeg
    OSPREY - 1026.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 20
Back