Ifootage Cobra 3 monopod

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have been contemplating buying one of these monopods for a little over a year and keep talking myself out of it. I already own a Gitzo series 4 monopod, which is built like a tank. When I first saw these, I thought it would be neat and very helpful to have the folding legs on the bottom. I kept talking myself out of buying it because I thought they would be cheap and flimsy. I have to say, this is right up at the top of my favorite photography purchases I have ever made, just about equal to the cotton carrier vest. I would absolutely give this a strong 9.5 out of 10 if not 10 out of 10. I have attached my RRS tilt head off my other monopod. I’ve taken it out the last several times I have been out. I have used it with Zoom lenses and the 600 prime all with no issues whatsoever. It is great for video and just overall great for taking The load off your arms and back in with the locking pedal. It’s just one touch operation with your boot in order to unlock the tilt the only thing I regret is not buying it much sooner and highly recommend it for someone that wants a very well-made monopod that is super functional. I have put the 600 prime up over my shoulder with it attached to this while walking and also had no issues whatsoever. Having said that, I always have my camera or lens tethered to my cotton carrier vest in case of a fall or drop, I did buy the carbon fiber version And in the future might buy the small video fluid head for it, but I’m pretty content using it the way it is to be honest. I found a very good deal on an open box one on eBay that had never been taken out of the sealed package inside the carrying bag. Anyhow, I can’t recommend this enough at least for my perspective.
IMG_1834.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nice. Thanks for the review. I've also been eyeing that for years now but never bought it. I have two monopods already with gimbal heads on them. But I do like the idea of having the tripod feet.
Can you use the tripod lower section as a ground-pod by removing the monopod and attaching a head directly to the feet section? If so, would you need a special quick release attachment or can you just screw in a standard head or gimbal to that bottom part??

Nice. Thanks for the review. I've also been eyeing that for years now but never bought it. I have two monopods already with gimbal heads on them. But I do like the idea of having the tripod feet.
Can you use the tripod lower section as a ground-pod by removing the monopod and attaching a head directly to the feet section? If so, would you need a special quick release attachment or can you just screw in a standard head or gimbal to that bottom part??
Yes, it has two quick disconnects, one on the bottom and one on the top. You can take the mounting section off the top and put it directly in the bottom for a ground pod. That is one of the main reasons I bought it and thought it would be fantastic for low level shooting. You can also fold those legs upwards and use it as a standard mono pod or disconnect the legs with the disconnect and screw in a rubber foot that unscrewed from the bottom of the tripod legs. I could kick myself in the rear end for not buying this a long time ago. It normally takes a lot for me to like something this much but it definitely is a great set up or at least in my opinion.

Here are some pictures I just took of it so you can see what I’m talking about. You can also mount the quarter inch adapter directly to your lens foot and not use the tilted because when you press that pedal, you can articulate the base as well as spinet so you really don’t even have to have that extra space on top of their which would get it lower to the ground.

IMG_1838.jpeg
IMG_1839.jpeg
IMG_1840.jpeg

A great system - a tripod, short tripod, and monopod in one. I went with the Cobra 2 Strike. I wanted the speed of extending the monopod from short to tall with a simple twist. I would rate the Strike the same as you rated the 3.

I need to look into the tripod legs - the Strike has the short legs. The new ones like the ones on yours are supposed to provide 25% greater stability.

A great system - a tripod, short tripod, and monopod in one. I went with the Cobra 2 Strike. I wanted the speed of extending the monopod from short to tall with a simple twist. I would rate the Strike the same as you rated the 3.

I need to look into the tripod legs - the Strike has the short legs. The new ones like the ones on yours are supposed to provide 25% greater stability.
I really can't believe how nice it is for the money. The pedal system is ingenious IMO because a simple boot tap locks and unlocks the base without ever using your hands.

Not a fan of those feet. I had the Neewer 71.6 for a while but it bugged me too much trying to keep the feet clean, amongst other issues. I’m obsessive compulsive, so if it‘s not 100% it’s gone.
IMG_2938.jpeg

Not a fan of those feet. I had the Neewer 71.6 for a while but it bugged me too much trying to keep the feet clean, amongst other issues. I’m obsessive compulsive, so if it‘s not 100% it’s gone. View attachment 97620
I am definitely OCD and keep everything I own looking like it's never been used lol. I don't foresee sticking this down in the mud or submersing it just because of that. Having said that, It does get some debris on the legs but I just simple blow it off with air once I get home and wipe it down.

I am definitely OCD and keep everything I own looking like it's never been used lol. I don't foresee sticking this down in the mud or submersing it just because of that. Having said that, It does get some debris on the legs but I just simple blow it off with air once I get home and wipe it down.
😂😂
somebody said to put in in a plastic bag when it’s muddy. Then I had to figure what to do with a muddy plastic bag. Gave me hours of fun …

Steve, did it come with a regular mono foot as well as the triple stand? maybe I’ll try it.
Yes the rubber screw in attachment shown on the bottom will screw directing into the bottom. I really like the latches as well because I struggle often with the screw type connectors on the Gitzo monopod due to the condition of my hands.

Expect so. My current “Monopod” is the third leg of my old tripod which I’ve been meaning to change for years…the Neewer (#8 above) was my first (failed) attempt.
I’ll get this beauty on Saturday.

I didn’t get the fluid head. That’s a whole other problem 😂😂

Expect so. My current “Monopod” is the third leg of my old tripod which I’ve been meaning to change for years…the Neewer (#8 above) was my first (failed) attempt.
I’ll get this beauty on Saturday.

I didn’t get the fluid head. That’s a whole other problem 😂😂
This is the included foot which is just fine for me.
IMG_1843.jpeg

I'm more interested in whether people have used, this or the more compact 145cm version which would more likely fit in a carry on. Does it work well? Would the 145cm be too short, etc.?
I contemplated getting that but you have to lock and unlock the base by hand. This version I bought has the pedal and everything can be done by a simple toe tap without having to bend over.

Steve, did it come with a regular mono foot as well as the triple stand? maybe I’ll try it.
These are the feet that are on my Strike monopod. So, with this base I can have a tripod base or a monopod base. The red round thing at the right end is a screw on rubber foot that can be attached to the three legs or the end of the monopod shaft making it a true monopod. I keep empty bread loaf bags in my camera bags and slide the dirty leg end into a bag until I get to a place to wash them off. The benefits outweigh the minor drawbacks.

1726771830164.png

These are the feet that are on my Strike monopod. So, with this base I can have a tripod base or a monopod base. The red round thing at the right end is a screw on rubber foot that can be attached to the three legs or the end of the monopod shaft making it a true monopod. I keep empty bread loaf bags in my camera bags and slide the dirty leg end into a bag until I get to a place to wash them off. The benefits outweigh the minor drawbacks.

View attachment 97631
Nice video

Back